Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default There would be a benefit to leaving commentary on the sale ads

I wish we could leave comments on the PAFOA sale ads. I know I can send a PM but this is a little more cumbersome. I often see ads missing details where I think we could help the seller by posting questions or advice. This feature could be set up so only the seller sees the feedback.

Here's an example... an ad was just posted for a French MAS in .308 for $400. It might help if the seller shares the model of the rifle. Is it a MAS 36 (bolt) or MAS 49 (semi)?

Unfortunately there are those that would use the feature in a negative manner but my opinion is it would be a beneficial option.

That's all

(Elk County)

Default Re: There would be a benefit to leaving commentary on the sale ads

MT1 -- Good point, but there would be too much misuse.

The alternative is to PM the seller for more details.

Thanks,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

The alternative is to PM the seller for more details.

Thanks,

Noah
    Agreed as I addressed both points in original post. Thanks.

(Berks County)

Some forums allow posting in MP threads with narrow rules. Ask a question or post 'I'll take it.' Any other use/misuse results in a short ban. Posting 'I'll take it', then backing out results in that poster receiving a short ban. Multiple infractions could result in a longer, or permanent, bans. I'll obviously live with whatever direction the forum goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Yeah, like someone telling the seller that nobody wants their doll collection or VHS tapes or sand art supplies so stop posting them for goodness sake! Not that I would ever want to do that.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Jefferson County)

The problem with leaving comments in-thread is that it will bump the thread, which in turn would violate the 72hr bump rule. The reason for the bump rule is an attempt to allow everyone a somewhat equal amount of time on the front page of the classifieds for the potential to be seen.

As for commentary that doesn't fall in-thread, that is unnecessary because there is the PM system. People would end up abusing that type of system with price commentary or harassment. This site has way too many posts each day for the staff to look at each one of them.

If a seller is inept in his advertising skills - then let them fail in the selling of their wares. ..Posting pictures or describing things in works isn't all that difficult.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The problem with leaving comments in-thread is that it will bump the thread, which in turn would violate the 72hr bump rule. The reason for the bump rule is an attempt to allow everyone a somewhat equal amount of time on the front page of the classifieds for the potential to be seen.

As for commentary that doesn't fall in-thread, that is unnecessary because there is the PM system. People would end up abusing that type of system with price commentary or harassment. This site has way too many posts each day for the staff to look at each one of them.

If a seller is inept in his advertising skills - then let them fail in the selling of their wares. ..Posting pictures or describing things in works isn't all that difficult.
    Sounds great in theory, but when a seller is hogging up 15 of the posts on the page by creating multiple listings for every different hunting rifle or caliber of ammo they are hawking, it's the same thing.

If it's really about letting others get the exposure of the first page, then a limit on the number of ads would be in place.
    Adding mods to that particular section would solve abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    Yeah, like someone telling the seller that nobody wants their doll collection or VHS tapes or sand art supplies so stop posting them for goodness sake! Not that I would ever want to do that.
    Ummm, yeah. I've been guilty at poking fun at the posts you reference. Don't forget the 10 year old issues of SWAT magazine!

I agree with Noah that it would be abused and knight that it is more challenging than beneficial. Maybe if they would just grant me special powers and a cool t-shirt I could do it through osmosis.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Ummm, yeah. I've been guilty at poking fun at the posts you reference. Don't forget the 10 year old issues of SWAT magazine!

I agree with Noah that it would be abused and knight that it is more challenging than beneficial. Maybe if they would just grant me special powers and a cool t-shirt I could do it through osmosis.
    Plenty of other forums allow posting replies in the classifieds.
    Once the abusers learn they will get time outs, the abuse stops pretty quickly.

(Berks County)

I can see the concern though that the mods would have more to police.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast