Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default AR15 Optic Choice

I will be pricing optics in the next few months for an AR15 platform. I have been looking at Eotechs, a couple Aimpoint options (under $500), and some of the Vortex products. I really really really don't want to pay Eotech and Aimpoint prices, but I do want a solid optic with minimal parallax error. Is there honestly anything worthwhile out there that isn't going to cost me $300-400+?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: AR15 Optic Choice

Dot or traditional scope?
    I have a millet 1-4x on mine that I'm very happy with. They run @ $200. I like the offerings from vortex as well. From what I've seen/held they make some really good products at reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Dot or traditional scope?
    I have a millet 1-4x on mine that I'm very happy with. They run @ $200. I like the offerings from vortex as well. From what I've seen/held they make some really good products at reasonable prices.
    I would just want something that would be suitable for home defense /target practicing (suitable for the first more importantly). Something to help acquire an intruder at close distances quickly if ever necessary while being fun to target shoot/practice with.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Aimpoint Pro's can be found used for $350 if you keep your eyes open. There's one on Craigslist in Erie right now. http://erie.craigslist.org/spo/5068388728.html

The Vortex Strikefire is a pretty good substitute for the Aimpoint. I've found that the sight picture is pretty good and it holds its zero, although the controls suck compared to the Aimpoint.

One great thing about the Aimpoint is battery life. For my HD rifle, I leave it on all the time. You can't do that with an Eotech or Vortex. No fumbling in the dark, under pressure, to turn on your sight - just grab & go.
    Last edited by scruff; June 12th, 2015 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Aimpoint Pro's can be found used for $350 if you keep your eyes open. There's one on Craigslist in Erie right now. http://erie.craigslist.org/spo/5068388728.html

The Vortex Strikefire is a pretty good substitute for the Aimpoint. I've found that the sight picture is pretty good and it holds its zero, although the controls suck compared to the Aimpoint.
    The Strikefire was one that I was looking at.. Based on the price point I was not sure though.

For your use I'd recommend and Aimpoint PRO, that is what I run. For target shooting yeah magnification is nice but with a red dot hitting man sized targets hundreds of yards out is still pretty easy. Its is nice to have a decent red dot on a qd mount and a magnified scope on a qd mount so you switch back and forth as required.

Vortex does have the Sparc II also which is smaller and lighter than the strikefire.

Aimpoint PRO.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Philadelphia County)

Eotech.
    Low profile; no snags, hassles, wide FOV.

Another option

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Another option

Now there's a model I haven't seen yet. How's the parallax error on that puppy?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast