Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Exclamation Traveling thru NY soon on way to visit bro in VT...carrying firearms

Ole TN redneck here w handgun carry permit for MANY YEARS, wh is good in 43 states so far.
    I am aware of the FOPA which seems to give some protection to gun owners who are traveling interstate w handguns. I looked on the "search forums" and found several old threads. I would like up dates from you guys who live in or near NYS, bks dammit U cannot get to VT where I can CCW or OC w/o a permit w/o going thru NYS. What say ye? How do I get my legal gun(s) thru NYS..legally?

Default Re: Traveling thru NY soon on way to visit bro in VT...carrying firearms

i might not recommended but if you get pull over don't tell the cop anything. Either take the ticket and move on. Or just drive under speed limit you will be fine, but the the gun in locked case..
    Thank you

Default Re: Traveling thru NY soon on way to visit bro in VT...carrying firearms

Personally, even though it is technically legal so long as the firearm is legal in TN and VT you are GTG, since the SAFE act I would not transport anything that isn't legal in NYS. I'm not sure where the portion of the SAFE act stands that limited mags to something like 8 or 9 rounds (Not sure the number but it was single digits IIRC). I don't believe FOPA covers you for mags, so mag limits could very well be a problem. Don't stop. Don't speed. Tank up before you enter NYS. I would also plan your trip to stay as far away as possible from larger city areas. Stay more west than east, avoid Buffalo.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Susquehanna County)

Lock your piece in a box and have the mags unloaded and in a separate box. Put them in the trunk if you have them. Have some documentation that you are traveling to your Brother's home and where you came from. Don't speed, stop only for gas and "pit stop" if necessary. If stopped be polite and do not antagonize the officer/trooper.

Do not use the term "Yankee" or refer to the 'War of Northern Aggression" when talking to the Police. Do not have confederate flags or anti Obama bumper stickers on your car. Do not refer to the Trooper as "Boy". Refrain from using Y'all or All Y'all. Don't be a Douche.

Plan your route to get through NY as quickly as possible (Within the speed limit of course) and try not to spend money there. STAY AWAY FROM NEW YORK CITY! The further north in NY you can travel the better. Upstate NY is not that bad, really it's not.

Expect Asshat NY'ers to give you the social digit for any perceived infraction, smile at them and refrain from retaliating.

Think of NY as driving through a hostile country.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    I would like up dates from you guys who live in or near NYS, bks dammit U cannot get to VT where I can CCW or OC w/o a permit w/o going thru NYS. What say ye? How do I get my legal gun(s) thru NYS..legally?
    WUT?

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Do you have a boat?
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Montgomery County)

I would just leave the gun home then travel through NY with it.
    I'd rather have a gun in my hand then a cop on the phone.

(Allegheny County)

As others have said:

Firearm in locked box, unloaded mags and ammo in another locked box. Then in truck or if there is no separate truck as far away from you as possible. I know FOPA states that either the gun or ammo must be locked but I feel its prudent to do both.

Plan to stop as little in NY as possible if at all. Break, disarm, refuel before you enter NY and try not to stop for anything. Use cruise control.

Do not mentions firearms at all. Be polite and professional.

Also do an inspection of your car before you leave. Make sure ALL the lights and indicators work. Make sure all your fluids are topped off. Check belts, hoses, etc. Check your tire pressure, even the spare. Last thing you want to do is get pulled over for a light out or have to pull over for a minor mechanical problem that could have been addressed before you leave. This is good advice for any road trip buy double good when driving through a state that does not recognise your 2A rights.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    As others have said:

Firearm in locked box, unloaded mags and ammo in another locked box. Then in truck or if there is no separate truck as far away from you as possible. I know FOPA states that either the gun or ammo must be locked but I feel its prudent to do both.

Plan to stop as little in NY as possible if at all. Break, disarm, refuel before you enter NY and try not to stop for anything. Use cruise control.

Do not mentions firearms at all. Be polite and professional.

Also do an inspection of your car before you leave. Make sure ALL the lights and indicators work. Make sure all your fluids are topped off. Check belts, hoses, etc. Check your tire pressure, even the spare. Last thing you want to do is get pulled over for a light out or have to pull over for a minor mechanical problem that could have been addressed before you leave. This is good advice for any road trip buy double good when driving through a state that does not recognise your 2A rights.
    Hay-ZUSS H Kee-ryst..is it THAT fuu king bad there?? Daggone it..I carry a defensive firearm legally 24/7 bks 1. a cop is too heavy and 2. I am semi-handicapped and cannot run away from trouble..and 3. my family is going to be with me and THEY deserve protection. WTF is wrong w the fools in New York state anyways???? I don't want a cop who shows up to draw a chalk line around my body or the bodies of my family ..when I am perfectly capable of defending myself AND them, IF I have the tools. How TF do the taxpayers of NYS put UP with this crap???

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyHermit View Post
    If stopped be polite and do not antagonize the officer/trooper.

Do not use the term "Yankee" or refer to the 'War of Northern Aggression" when talking to the Police. Do not have confederate flags or anti Obama bumper stickers on your car. Do not refer to the Trooper as "Boy". Refrain from using Y'all or All Y'all. Don't be a Douche.
    And don't use the phrase : "Haven't you ever heard of the U.S. Constitution, motherfucker?"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast