Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Smile S&W .500 recoil is not so much.

I shot my friend's S&W .500 today. Went through 15 rounds of 350gr monsters and I had anticipated far more recoil than it actually produced. I'm not recoil sensitive but I'll admit to clinching my teeth before I fired the first round. This was the 8 3/8" barrel so, perhaps it's recoil is more substantial in the shorter barrel configs. I had brought my .45 ACP to shoot, and it felt like a .22 lr after shooting the .500 so, don't mistake what I'm saying. Lol. I'm planning on getting one, probably before the winter.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: S&W .500 recoil is not so much.

They are fun. The muzzle brakes do a pretty good job. My .454 Casull's kick about the same without a brake. Hope you have deep pockets or reload if you plan on shooting it a lot.

(Allegheny County)

I had one a while back. Fun shooter. I agree the recoil is not bad. Surprised you didn't mention it's the palm of your hand that gets the punch.
    <a href=http://www.filehive.com/files/080820/bowkillpa.jpg target=_blank>http://www.filehive.com/files/080820/bowkillpa.jpg</a>

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    They are fun. The muzzle brakes do a pretty good job. My .454 Casull's kick about the same without a brake. Hope you have deep pockets or reload if you plan on shooting it a lot.
    That's it's biggest downfall the cost of ammo. I don't know what I'll do at this point. The initial cost isn't too bad, I have an AR that costs more but I'm definitely considering ammo options. It is a lot of fun to shoot though.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bowkillpa View Post
    I had one a while back. Fun shooter. I agree the recoil is not bad. Surprised you didn't mention it's the palm of your hand that gets the punch.
    It does dig into the palm a bit. I got an arm long vibration every round. It's definitely not for the recoil sensitive but entirely manageable. This was also outside, so the indoor acoustic effect wasn't there. Oh gosh, imagine discharging this indoors in a SD situation. Goodbye hearing for a week!
    Last edited by Mustang GT500; June 5th, 2015 at 06:22 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't know much about this caliber, it was the first time I ever shot it but apparently it goes up to 700gr! That's actually twice the grain weight I shot today. What a monster round!

(Beaver County)

Oh the 500 is a fun gun. I hand load for mine as you pretty much have too. I make 4 different kinds of rounds for mine. A Berry's 350grn target round, then full house loads of 350grn XTP HP, 500grn FP, and a 700grn full wadcutter. The 700grn WC is a sleeve of lead hehe.

Just this past weekend I picked up the 460 Mag. Ordering brass and dies over the weekend. Now I have matching X-Frames.

And for comparison sakes I use 35grains of Lil'Gun under the 350 XTP in the 500 while the 460 calls for 50grains of Lil'Gun under a 240grn XTP. I absolutely cant wait for deer season this year. Taking a deer with a revolver has been on my bucket list for awhile now.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; June 5th, 2015 at 07:12 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lancaster County)

I had an 8 and 3/8 barrel with aftermarket wood grips. The backstrap was exposed and even then the recoil was manageable. It had a scope, rail and four heavy duty rings so that toned it down due to the weight. After trading it in I wound up shooting next to its new owner. I didnt tell him I used to own it but was 100% positive it was my former gun. I laughed to myself when he told me he would normally let me shoot it but the recoil is just too much and he doesnt want to be responsible if I get hurt.

(Philadelphia County)

A gentleman at my range let me shoot his and 1 round was enough for me.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    A gentleman at my range let me shoot his and 1 round was enough for me.
    Last year at hunting camp a friend brought one, I did the whole cylinder and immediately placed it in the list of guns I'll never buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast