Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Question Eyeglass wearer question for spotting scope use

This may sound like a stupid question, but I’ll ask it anyway. I am an eyeglass wearer (bi focal) and would like to buy a decent spotting scope (probably a Vortex or Nikon). My question is; can I use the spotting scope without my glasses on, just relying on the magnification and focus control of the spotting scope to provide a clear image. If not, and I really do need to wear my eye glasses I know I should get a scope with 18-20mm eye relief, are there any other issues I should be concerned with.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Eyeglass wearer question for spotting scope use

Speaking from experience, yes to the first question and also yes to an LER eyepiece if you want to keep your goggles on ;->

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Not a stupid question at all! I wear progressive lenses (gradual-multi-focal without the lines). It drives me crazy to look through any magnified optic with them, as head/eye position causes the image quite easily to go in/out of focus. I tend to take mine off to look through the spotting scope, then put them back on so I can see in front of me.

A problem I just noticed in the last couple weeks is sort of interesting/infuriating. Shooting while looking through a rifle scope, I was hitting good groups while at the top of the target; as I got closer to the bottom, my groups were consistantly opening up. Not sure what made me think of it, but I took my RX glasses off, put on a set of safety glasses, re-calibrated the scope so I could see and found my lower groups improved right away. I still needed to put the RX glasses back on to reload, etc., so not sure if this is the best long term plan. It was suggested to me to get a set of glasses made up with a single magnification; sort of a compromise of focal lengths, but with no differences across the lens. I'm looking into that and will report back if I get them made up. Good luck OP, getting older makes shooting much more difficult!

Regards, Jim

(Bucks County)

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your feedback. I should have mentioned in my original question that I too have progressive lens. I like them, but perhaps not the best choice for shooting. I plan on trying out looking through a scope without my glasses soon as I think I've found a shop close by that sells Vortex (although I guess any scope would do to test it out).

Thanks again.
    Last edited by DoubleN; June 2nd, 2015 at 02:27 PM.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Far as I can figure, it shouldn't make any difference what scope you use to test the theory. Mine is a Konus FWIW. Wish you luck and hope that all of us with old/problematic eyes can find a good solution.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleN View Post
    Thanks Jim, I appreciate your feedback. I should have mentioned in my original question that I too have progressive lens. I like them, but perhaps not the best choice for shooting. I plan on trying out looking through a scope without my glasses soon as I think I've found a shop close by that sells Vortex (although I guess any scope would do to test it out).

Thanks again.

There will be a bit of difference in the the scopes, and if you choose a spotting scope that has a reticle in it. Most people don't end up getting a spotting scope with a reticle in it because they are usually more expensive, but I do bring up the point for one reason. If you have a prescription that is more than the diopter setting of the reticle can adjust for, the reticle will not be in complete focus in the spotting scope. If you are NOT getting a spotting scope with a reticle in it, then you will probably have the adjustment you need in the coarse focus of the optic to get it where you need it. If you choose to use the spotting scope without your glasses or contacts, then this will also come into play on the rifle scope reticle and the parallax/focus adjustment. Otherwise, you should be fine, but I wanted to mention it just in the slim chance that you were considering a spotting scope with a reticle and wanting to shoot without your corrective lenses. If this is the case, you'll want to look at the specs for how much adjustment the diopter has, and compare that to your prescription.

(Wayne County)

DoubleN, I wear glasses and use a Burris spotter and I do and don't remove my glasses. I'll throw another one in, binoculars, by the end of the day I have round rings all over the glass lenses, what a pain getting old.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Great point Tomcat088; I didn't consider that and you're absolutely correct. Thanks!

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    There will be a bit of difference in the the scopes, and if you choose a spotting scope that has a reticle in it..