Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Popularity of the .380

Say what you want. But the recent popularity of the .380 is unquestionable. Sales of pocket pistols are booming. And talking to the sig. Sauer representative today while ordering a magazine I asked him why the Sig P250 in .380 was in such short supply. He told me that the pistol was so popular that they could not keep it in stock. I guess the notion of a large capacity yet milder shooting cartridge is also catching on. I have gone from the extreme of the Walther PPS in .40 to the P250 in .380. I'll let you know how it goes.

( I also carry a pocket sized .380 )

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Popularity of the .380

Popularity doesn't prove anything -just look at Justin Bieber. The Derringer has been popular forever, and it's a terrible self defense weapon. Heck, stun guns are popular too, you might as well poke someone with a stick. IMHO.

(Tioga County)

It dates back to the days of cheap pocket blowback pistols and what technology could handle at the time. Manufacturers have recently done well with flogging small pistols in that chambering but I think the fad is starting to die out as 9mm pistols that are similar come on the market. 9mm is cheaper and better performing in all aspects.

Personally I think .380 sucks. It has few advantages and many negatives.

(Bucks County)

The first requirement for a successful carry weapon is that you carry it, all the time (you are allowed).

380s like the LCP actually do fit easily in a holster in a man's pocket (dunno about women's pockets ) and remain concealed regardless of body type. 9mms by and large simply do not conceal in most pockets.

Many many many of us cannot carry everywhere, all the time, unless its pocket carry. Many who often carry larger firearms find a 380 perfect for shorts and a T.

So the 380 will continue to be very popular - the "fad" will not die out.

A 9mm you are not carrying has absolutely no advantage over a pocket 380.

(Washington County)

When my pocket .380 can be replaced by an an equivalent size pocket 9mm, I will happily trade up. Until then, that's what I need for certain attire.

I was at a wedding this weekend and a guy had an American Arms .22 Derringer in a belt buckle. I might have to get that.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    The first requirement for a successful carry weapon is that you carry it, all the time (you are allowed).

380s like the LCP actually do fit easily in a holster in a man's pocket (dunno about women's pockets ) and remain concealed regardless of body type. 9mms by and large simply do not conceal in most pockets.

Many many many of us cannot carry everywhere, all the time, unless its pocket carry. Many who often carry larger firearms find a 380 perfect for shorts and a T.

So the 380 will continue to be very popular - the "fad" will not die out.

A 9mm you are not carrying has absolutely no advantage over a pocket 380.
    That's what I was thinking when I bought my first .380. My Kahr P380 in a Recluse holster is absolutely invisible and easy to carry. But the more I carried my Kahr CM9, the more I realized that it's almost as invisible and just as easy to carry. The .380 hasn't been out since. Yeah, the 9mm seemed too big and bulky for pocket carry at first; that's why I bought the P380. It took a while to get used to the 9mm, but when I did, I saw no reason at all to carry a smaller gun.

YMMV.

I always carried my .380s (two of them) in my pocket until recently when I tried out IWB and now prefer that. I have not once had anyone notice I was carrying either way, even when printing slightly with a tight t-shirt on lazy days. I could never be that concealed with my full-size 40.

I don't have a mini "mouse" gun like an LCP, Bodyguard or TCP because I don't care for the recoil, but metal-framed .380s have served me perfectly and my wife can easily handle them as well. PPK clone and Bersa Thunder.

The ONLY downside is ammo availability to me. I don't even mind the price.

As others say, if I can find a 9mm with the same size and shootability as my .380s, I'll gladly make the chance since the ammo is cheaper and easier to find.
    Last edited by alpacaheat; June 1st, 2015 at 02:25 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    That's what I was thinking when I bought my first .380. My Kahr P380 in a Recluse holster is absolutely invisible and easy to carry. But the more I carried my Kahr CM9, the more I realized that it's almost as invisible and just as easy to carry. The .380 hasn't been out since. Yeah, the 9mm seemed too big and bulky for pocket carry at first; that's why I bought the P380. It took a while to get used to the 9mm, but when I did, I saw no reason at all to carry a smaller gun.

YMMV.
    So you are pocket carrying the CM9?

I need the LCP for tucked in, tight fitting dress clothing for weddings and other formal occasions, or when I go country swing dancing, and I do overhead lifts, etc. Other than that, it's the Glock 19 IWB.

Picture of said dancing in case you don't believe me. (Note the stylish AAC shirt)

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

The popularity must be due to size and/or recoil. I carry a Ruger LC9. I chose it because its cousin the Ruger LC380 had identical specifications of the LC9 so going with a smaller round made no sense. Since I did not want to pants pocket carry the diminutive LCP offered me handicaps and no advantages. I do think that any gun on your person is better than not gun. Below is a chart comparing the offerings that Ruger has in compact pistols. The only questions it opens are whether the reduced barrel length is worth the weight and size reduction. The answer to that obviously depend upon personal needs.

Ruger LCP: barrel length = 2.75; width = .82; length = 5.16; height = 3.8; weight = 9.75; capacity = 6+1

Ruger LC380 and LC9: barrel length= 3.12; width = .9; length = 6; height = 4.5; weight = 17.2; capacity = 7+1

My opinion is take the LC9 over the LC380 and use the LCP only if you have to.
    Last edited by Cyclops; June 1st, 2015 at 03:27 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    . . . But the more I carried my Kahr CM9, the more I realized that it's almost as invisible and just as easy to carry. . . .
    On some people this is obviously true, and that opens the option of a larger caliber. And while others can tolerate the weight, I'd still have an issue with the ~3/4 pound difference (pistol + ammo) in my pocket.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast