Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Buying a gun from another customer at a gun store?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    ATF doesn't make laws but it isn't even against regulations. It might be gauche but not illegal. The clerk should have grabbed the opportunity to make a quick buck and said, "Hey, take it and I'll do the transfer right now for $25." Twenty five bucks right now is better than shelling our $200 and waiting six months to get it back plus small markup.
    Small markup? Usually 75% markup, being conservative.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sed1208 View Post
    Thanks all. I did feel kind of bad even though this is a gun shop known for gouging. For example, their daily transfer rates are a reasonable $35 but on weekends they go up to $50. None-the-less, I paid the $50 for the transfer even though they had all my information from a transfer I had made just 5 minutes before. So I guess I paid them $50 for less than 5 minutes additional work. BTW, got a great deal on a Springfield XD .40 -- even with the $50 transfer!
    Was the fat guy on the stool?
    Why not out the assholes? If you’re going to tell us how they snaked you, you could be kind enough to tell us so we can steer clear!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Why not out the assholes? If you*re going to tell us how they snaked you, you could be kind enough to tell us so we can steer clear!
    Well being this thread is from 2015 they may not even be in business
    anymore

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sed1208 View Post
    Thanks all. I did feel kind of bad even though this is a gun shop known for gouging. For example, their daily transfer rates are a reasonable $35 but on weekends they go up to $50. None-the-less, I paid the $50 for the transfer even though they had all my information from a transfer I had made just 5 minutes before. So I guess I paid them $50 for less than 5 minutes additional work. BTW, got a great deal on a Springfield XD .40 -- even with the $50 transfer!
    Lame...

LGS always offer less...its part of their ripoff business model. If the guy did not accept the offer and he was still in the store, I would have done the same. But gone to another FFL to consummate the deal. To each his own.

(Franklin County)

Total BS. It's taboo, and kind of a prick move, but not illegal. Next time, try to be subtle. Motion him away, or write it on your phone and show him. Even if they are low balling, it's their house and you should be respectful.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    Lame...

LGS always offer less...its part of their ripoff business model. If the guy did not accept the offer and he was still in the store, I would have done the same. But gone to another FFL to consummate the deal. To each his own.
    That's not always the case. They need to make money. They're a business. If you bring in a used Glock, they might offer $250. That's HALF! Until they take the time to clean it up, tag it, maybe store it for 3 months, then sell it for $385. Then after taxes, and barring that there isn't something internally wrong they missed (which happens), they might actually profit $80-$90. People come in expecting 85% of retail for their dinged up used handgun. Not going to happen.

(Erie County)

My experience is dealers will offer 50% -66% of the used gun sale price as they have to turn a profit, which I consider to be fair.

I tend to sell on consignment as its a 15% fee in most cases. My LGS actually recommend consignment.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    That's not always the case. They need to make money. They're a business. If you bring in a used Glock, they might offer $250. That's HALF! Until they take the time to clean it up, tag it, maybe store it for 3 months, then sell it for $385. Then after taxes, and barring that there isn't something internally wrong they missed (which happens), they might actually profit $80-$90. People come in expecting 85% of retail for their dinged up used handgun. Not going to happen.
    LGS are a lost art. Most of them are barely holding on...and doing not much to change their model. Gouging is not a good strategy. its why many sell their guns on gun forums and get a heck of a better deal. Those who go into a gun store and sell are either ignorant or need to sell ASAP.

I don't frequent my LGS anymore...high prices, bad attitude, make for a place I don't solicit.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    LGS are a lost art. Most of them are barely holding on...and doing not much to change their model. Gouging is not a good strategy. its why many sell their guns on gun forums and get a heck of a better deal. Those who go into a gun store and sell are either ignorant or need to sell ASAP.

I don't frequent my LGS anymore...high prices, bad attitude, make for a place I don't solicit.
    You get more for it as a personal sale because you're doing the work. It takes time to list items online, take pictures and answer questions. Not only that you have people that might say they want to buy it then never show up wasting your time waiting for them to show up. For some people that are busy taking $250 right now vs waiting for $375 and all the bs that comes with it makes more sense.

Personally I've never sold a gun I've bought and probably never will. When in shops I'll look at some of the used stuff but the price difference isn't generally enough to justify not just buying the same gun brand new. I'm sure to some that price difference is enough to justify and there's probably another group of people that will search forums and classifieds to find a better deal person to person which could again take month(s).

I'll never be that guy that brags about some crazy killer deal I got since I don't have the patience to spend that much time looking, to me that time is more valuable for other things.

Here is a great formula to determine if something is worth your time: Annual Salary / 365 days / 24 hours a day. That number is your hourly cost of existence - Take that number vs. whatever you're doing and the time spent to help determine if it's worth your time or better to pass off on someone else.
    Last edited by widgetman101; June 21st, 2021 at 11:40 AM.

(Mifflin County)

With the short supply of guns , should be real easy to sell privately and get your price .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast