Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member here

Default New member here

My wife and I are planning to move back to America within the next year or so. We will be escaping from the People's Republic of Corzinistan aka New Jersey. We are both avid shooters and will be looking for a rural location to move to, within a 40 minute or less drive to a hospital (I'm a RN) Any particular areas to look at, or avoid? Would like to get a couple of acres and be able to shoot on our property. We are looking in PA, WV, and possibly NH. Would prefer to stay within 4-5 hrs. of NJ so we could stay close with the kids and grandkids. Any advice would be appreciated. Want to stay away from any areas that are relocation sites for libs from NJ/NY

Mods, please feel free to move if I've posted this in the wrong place...
    NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

(Chester County)

Default Re: New member here

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    My wife and I are planning to move back to America within the next year or so. We will be escaping from the People's Republic of Corzinistan aka New Jersey. We are both avid shooters and will be looking for a rural location to move to, within a 40 minute or less drive to a hospital (I'm a RN) Any particular areas to look at, or avoid? Would like to get a couple of acres and be able to shoot on our property. We are looking in PA, WV, and possibly NH. Would prefer to stay within 4-5 hrs. of NJ so we could stay close with the kids and grandkids. Any advice would be appreciated. Want to stay away from any areas that are relocation sites for libs from NJ/NY

Pottstown??? We have our own hospital and plenty of country homes for sale around here. There are actually a few hospitals that fall into your drive time that you listed round here.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Chester County)

What ^^^^ said.

Welcome to the forums.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Westmoreland County)

Sorry I don't have any info to add, but welcome to the forums. Right now I'm in the UPMC system as a nursing student so really other than that I don't know much about hospital systems.

(Pike County)

Howdy stevek, and welcome. I escaped under the moat about a year and a half ago. Landed in Bushkill, Pike county. I still work on NJ.
    For this area, as an RN, you can check with Pocono Medical Center in Stroudsburg for openings. From most areas of Pike county Newton Memorial is also an option. There are also approx. 4 extended care facilities in the Newton area.
    There are plenty of small land bundles around, but due to it being in communting distance to NJ and NY the prices are higher than more westerly locations.
    As far as I know, there are no rural areas in Pike county that have no discharge laws. All of the private communities are no discharge, as far as I know.
    If you want any specific info about the area, PM me and I will be happy to help out.
    BTW, don't count all of us from NJ out, we can thrive out of the PRNJ!

(Mifflin County)

Mifflin County. If you're out in the Reedsville area, you're under your listed drive distance to either State College, or Lewistown Hospital, and about a 4 hour drive to NYC. Plenty of ranges in the county, pistol rifle and shotgun competitions available. Certainly a rural area, but only around an hour to Harrisburg.

(Wayne County)

Welcome! Pike/Wayne 2 hours from NYC! 45 mins to Scranton..

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Lancaster County)

Lancaster area. You have all kinds of country around the city and you can work in town at Lancaster General Hospital or Lancaster Regional Medical Center. Also up the road in Lititz is Heart of Lancaster Regional Medical Center.

My wife and I are planning to move back to America... Would prefer to stay within 4-5 hrs. of NJ so we could stay close with the kids and grandkids.
    Where you're located in New Jersey is important, as it will affect your route selection.

Generally, if I were in you position, I'd look at venues as follows:

North Jersey-locations easily accessed from Route 78 in northern PA. Most of this area along route 78 meets your basic criteria. Map of Rt. 78- http://tinyurl.com/5jc2t7

Central & southern NJ, stay close to the Penna turnpike. You have options like Montgomery County, Lancaster and others further west. PA Avoid the eastern parts of Montgomery county in general, as a general rule the further west from King of Prussia the better. You'll have a lot more choices approximately past where Rt 222 crosses Rt 76. Turnpike is also Rt 76 along most of the route*, you can see it here: http://tinyurl.com/6o5ewp

The main advantage is you'll be able to get back into NJ easily along the major routes with minimal stops. The turnpike will get you deeper into PA, yielding more choices for the property you seek. Obviously you'll be looking for something secluded and remote. Finding property like that in Chester County is getting hard and very expensive.

*Is renamed Rt 276 at King of Prussia and eastward. 76 becomes the Schuylkill Expressway at this same point.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Avoid Philly like the plague.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast