Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMP and 1911's

(Cumberland County)

Default CMP and 1911's

I didn't see anything posted on this, if there was, my bad please delete. I have been hearing about CMP wanting to sell surplus WWII 1911's and how Obama is trying to block - I know, shocker. I have purchased a Garand and a Carbine from CMP, would love to buy a 1911 or two
    I was curious so I asked CMP the status and outlook on selling 1911's and wanted to share their response. Not too encouraging, but ......

As for the pistols, The CMP has no control over the outcome concerning the proposed legislative amendment that would change CMP’s enabling legislation by removing the word “rifle” and replacing it with “firearm”. The CMP will know the outcome concerning the legislation passing or not passing through the US House and US Senate at the same time in which all US Citizens find out.

Everyone needs to keep in mind, even if the legislative amendment to CMP’s current enabling legislation passes, the US Army is still not bound to turnover 1911’s or shotguns to the CMP if it chooses not to. The US Army has complete control of the firearms in its possession not the CMP.

Absolute best case scenario, the CMP is several years out from receiving anything if the legislation passes and the Army agrees to the transfer the surplus “firearms” to the CMP.

Congressman Rogers (AL) and Congressman Latta (OH) are putting forth great effort to help the CMP. Both Congressmen have CMP operations in their states and they are helping a local business survive.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Default Re: CMP and 1911's

Are you saying you think the Army still has WWII 1911s in inventory?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Are you saying you think the Army still has WWII 1911s in inventory?
    That's what they are saying - lots............not sure how long after WWII they were in use, so maybe post WWII ?
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Here's one of the articles that first got me looking at it :

http://www.guns.com/2015/05/08/house...s-through-cmp/
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Montgomery County)

I'd be expecting Vietnam and Korea surplus, not really WWII. The price point would be a lot higher if they were though, I would think.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Lackawanna County)

We were still using 1911s into the early 90s, until M9 production caught up. We were routinely getting arsenal rebuilds into the late 80's. IMHO, yes, they are in depot storage.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by JW1914 View Post
    I'd be expecting Vietnam and Korea surplus, not really WWII. The price point would be a lot higher if they were though, I would think.
    Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps
    We were still using 1911s into the early 90s, until M9 production caught up. We were routinely getting arsenal rebuilds into the late 80's. IMHO, yes, they are in depot storage.

FWIW, the last USGI M1911A1 was built in 1945; any M1911A1 used in Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, etc., was built in 1945 or before.

There were contracts issued for spare parts including slides, that were manufactured through the 1960s and into the 1970s.

I was a 2111 in the USMC and later USMCR through 1986, and personally rebuilt / repaired hundreds if not a couple thousand M1911A1 pistols in the 14 years I was in. I saw spare parts wrappers dated from the 50s to the 70s. I saw pistol frames that included several M1911 versions without the trigger finger clearance cuts behind and to the sides of the trigger, and wearing original early serial numbers. Most were well-worn and rattly. Some were reasonably tight. A typical current made in Phillipines Rock Island Armory M1911 clone shoots like a Colt Gold Cup compared to how the average well-used M1911A1 in USMC inventory would shoot. Minute of enemy at 25 yds, but no match-winning paper puncher.

IMO, the ONLY reason for wanting a CMP 1911 if it comes to pass would be to preserve and caretake a piece of US military history, and occasionally shoot it for shitz & giggles. Buy and use a current 1911 for serious match or IDPA work.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    IMO, the ONLY reason for wanting a CMP 1911 if it comes to pass would be to preserve and caretake a piece of US military history, and occasionally shoot it for shitz & giggles. Buy and use a current 1911 for serious match or IDPA work.
    In Armorer we trust...

(Lackawanna County)

FWIW, the last USGI M1911A1 was built in 1945; any M1911A1 used in Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, etc., was built in 1945 or before.

There were contracts issued for spare parts including slides, that were manufactured through the 1960s and into the 1970s.

I was a 2111 in the USMC and later USMCR through 1986, and personally rebuilt / repaired hundreds if not a couple thousand M1911A1 pistols in the 14 years I was in. I saw spare parts wrappers dated from the 50s to the 70s. I saw pistol frames that included several M1911 versions without the trigger finger clearance cuts behind and to the sides of the trigger, and wearing original early serial numbers. Most were well-worn and rattly. Some were reasonably tight. A typical current made in Phillipines Rock Island Armory M1911 clone shoots like a Colt Gold Cup compared to how the average well-used M1911A1 in USMC inventory would shoot. Minute of enemy at 25 yds, but no match-winning paper puncher.

Noah
    I was an armorer for several years and still dabbled in it as a Supply Sergeant. Our 1911s were a hodge-poge of parts. The usual out of the field cleaning was; strip them down, place in a tub or suitable container, clean with dry cleaning solvent(no-no) then re-lubricate and reassemble, finish cleaning. Rarely did the same weapon, leave with the same parts. Through the years, I came across two Singers, but didn't realize the significance, at the time.

I have one WW2 M1911, I bought in 2006. The gentleman wanted 1K(gunbroker price). I got it for 500, when I showed him the slide and frame SNs did not match. Still, I'd buy another from CMP, if the opportunity presented itself.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Bucks County)

Noah
    I was regular army infantry well before the m9. The .45's we used were as you described.
    That said, those guns will be very tolerant of being rebuilt and when originally made were of VERY high quality. FAR better than most of the 1911's being produced today.

I hope the CMP gets them, I will absolutely buy as many as I can. My daily carry for the last 20 years is a 1938 contract gun- I bought it from the vet who stole it- I have redone it twice in about 30,000 rounds. It still hits 8" plates at 100M
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast