Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Please help: home defense pistol under $400

I hope this isn't an issue to make to quick posts on the same forum. But I believe this question is more to the heart of my issue.

I'm hoping to purchase a New pistol (likely 9mm or 40) for home defense and practice at the range, not to carry. I wil be at a local range this weekend so I'm trying to do research ahead of time so I know which pistols I should test. I need this purchase to be as close to $300 as possible but a little above may work.

So far I found 4 options. Are there any issues with these 4 choices that I should be aware of? And are there any suggestions you can offer about pistols that fit my criteria but aren't listed. I assume any Sigs is Glock are out of my price point, what about other trusted brands?

So far I found: Ruger LC9s & Ruger SR9E (this is what is listed on my range's website so I don't know if the mean SR9 or 9E)
    I also found (slightly higher price): S&W M&P40 Shield & S&W M&P9 Shield

I'm a newbie so any information you can offer would be helpful. Thank you.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Please help: home defense pistol under $400

I suggest saving your money until you can afford a quality pistol. In carrying or keeping a gun for self defense, you're recognizing and acknowledging the possibility that you may need to use it to defend either your life, or the life of a loved one some day. If that time ever comes, you'll give every dollar that you have to your name to have the best equipment possible. Save up, and buy a used Glock or similar pistol.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I suggest saving your money until you can afford a quality pistol. In carrying or keeping a gun for self defense, you're recognizing and acknowledging the possibility that you may need to use it to defend either your life, or the life of a loved one some day. If that time ever comes, you'll give every dollar that you have to your name to have the best equipment possible. Save up, and buy a used Glock or similar pistol.
    I surely would give every last dollar if it came to that, which is why I planned to buy a new pistol. Are used weapons to be trusted?!? I would buy from a trusted local range/shop but is nothing to be worrying about when buying used?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by M.gold View Post
    I surely would give every last dollar if it came to that, which is why I planned to buy a new pistol. Are used weapons to be trusted?!? I would buy from a trusted local range/shop but is nothing to be worrying about when buying used?
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Glock or similar pistol. They are very durable, and the VAST majority of people never come even remotely close to "wearing them out." Check out SIG's SP2022. They are a great value, and a great gun.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by M.gold View Post
    Are used weapons to be trusted?
    every handgun I currently own was used. ask a friend that know a little about guns to go with. they should know how to function check.

there are probably 1700 youtube videos and a sticky on most gun forums to tell you what to look for when buying used.

avoid ANYTHING with a dirt cheap price. it's dirt cheap for a reason.

check the name of the local shop here. lay odds at least ten of us have been tot he shop at least once.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Often, someone buys a new gun, shoots a box or two of ammo through it, and then sells it later for whatever reason. I've been able to find some nice used guns that were practically new. It's best to buy used from a shop that has warranties on their used guns. That way, there's little risk that you're buying someone else's problem.

If you only have one gun for self defense, buy something reliable like a Glock, Sig, or M&P. Stay away from the Ruger SR-series. I just took a multi-day class with 17 students. The three who had Ruger SR9's and SR9c's really stuck out - they all had feeding issues. I bought an SR9c 5 yrs ago and got rid of it after a trip back to the factory failed to fix an issue with light primer strikes.

Smile Re: Please help: home defense pistol under $400

CDNN brand new free shipping S&W SD 9mm,two hi cap mags,lifetime warranty $ 289 !

(Berks County)

When choosing a handgun or firearm for home protection, I would suggest you ask yourself some questions about your needs.

Where are you going to store it? Nightstand safe? Under the mattress? Do you have kids running around in the home? Will you have guests & guests' kids running around in the home?

Are you a large man with big hands? An older woman with small hands? Will the user be afraid of higher recoil?

Is this a high crime neighborhood? Is capacity a larger concern over stopping power or child safety?

I would also suggest taking a safety course or basic pistol course before or shortly after purchasing your firearm.

Good luck! Once you get your first gun, you might just have to get another.

For the 300 dollar price range, look for a Ruger P series (not the SR series). The P95 has an excellent reputation for durability and reliability. It is no longer produced, but you can find them in great or good condition within your budget.

Also to consider, a Makarov PM. The caliber is 9x18, but they are within your budget, and they are stone cold reliable and durable.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    This is a SOLID opinion. I would highly suggest following it and when you have enough getting a Glock 17 or a S&W M&P 9. Both are great pistols... easy to shoot and the 9mm is cheep to practice with! (which is lots of fun)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast