Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Rifle chassis, worth the expense?

For some reason a chassis for my "Savage" keeps popping up into my mind. Are they really worth the cost of another gun for this? I was checking out the MDT LSS chassis which has a base price of $400, then you need to add a grip and stock (which is nice that I get to choose what I like vs what the manufacturer likes) Also looking at some of the XLR units. My rifle sits in a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock currently and shoots sub 1/4" groups @ 100 yds with my hand loads. The chassis would basically be to add more adjustability, and comfort as well as they accept AI mags.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Rifle chassis, worth the expense?

Seems a question only you can answer. Your barrel is floated in the Choate and the groups pretty much tell you bedding is not an issue.

Potential gains seem pretty much restricted to comfort, appearance, and ego . . . nothing wrong with any of that, but only you can decide.

Rep added for poster above.

People seem to always come onto forums asking for opinions when the ultimate opinion is the OPs as it's your money and preference.

I have the MDT LSS chassis for my Savage in 223. I find that it's worth the extra money.

IMO, where the chassis stands out is if you need something modular. I can do much more with a chassis than a standard stock. I like the mounting options I have with a chassis of I end up with a dedicated NV optic down the road.

I also own the XLR chassis for my Sako TRG 42.

I wouldn't say you "need" a chassis since you are shooting "1/4" , but I like the ergos of a chassis as you have many more options for grip and for the stock.

(Berks County)

I was searching for something with the feel / ergonomics of the AR, but in a bolt action, so I went with the MDT Tac21. I did upgrade the chassis before getting more substantial upgrades like a better barrel or a nice trigger, but at least I'm shooting the rifle as I want it to feel until funds are available for the rest. I can't imagine you're going to get a reduction of group size with a new chassis, but the comfort & adjustability you mentioned would be worth it IMHO.

(Bucks County)

Just a thought. Stock chassis gets 1/4" groups. $$$ chassis will probably be the same. The difference is in the ergonomics. With the $$$$ chassis you don't have to work as hard obtaining the 1/4".

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JStem1283 View Post
    For some reason a chassis for my "Savage" keeps popping up into my mind. Are they really worth the cost of another gun for this? I was checking out the MDT LSS chassis which has a base price of $400, then you need to add a grip and stock (which is nice that I get to choose what I like vs what the manufacturer likes) Also looking at some of the XLR units. My rifle sits in a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock currently and shoots sub 1/4" groups @ 100 yds with my hand loads. The chassis would basically be to add more adjustability, and comfort as well as they accept AI mags.

Buy $400 worth of reloading components! ( ain't broke/don't fix)
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Quote Originally Posted by JStem1283 View Post

Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Exactly...everyone on the internet is a legend in their own mind. I see some silly claims often, but when asked to produce proof...it's crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

(Berks County)

I shot a 10" group once, & that's waaaay bigger than 1/4". Bigger is better, right?

(Wayne County)

sometimes chef.....sometimes......
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; May 21st, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast