Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Surefire?

(Washington County)

Default Best Surefire?

The wife wants a Surefire flashlight (handheld). From her research, she believes these to be the greatest. It would primarily be used to walk the dog, so it would see constant use. What are the up/down sides to a purchase of such an expensive light?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Best Surefire?

I only have experience with the Surefire 6P. This is the one I keep for household use, and I believe (I don't remember correctly) this is the same model issued to us in service.

The benefits are that they are small, lightweight, and have easy handheld use. They make the old, long, heavy MagLights that require 4 or more D batteries obsolete (unless you use it as a club).

Whatever technology the Surefire, and competing companies (Pentagon Light) uses makes the light brighter than the MagLights and traditional flashlights. My small 6P (I think this is the standard economy model at $50 or so) lights up entire rooms.

The only downside is if you use them extensively, batteries can get expensive.

I carry a 6P on duty, have an xtra one in my POV, and one in my house. I love em and they are bright as crap. However, the batteries do go quickly.

(York County)

I have and L1 and would recommend this for dogwalking. This is a 1 cell with and LED bulb with 2 levels of brightness. It lights my whole backyard up.

(Mifflin County)

If I were to get a Surefire, it'd most likely be the E2D LED Defender

If you do get any light that uses 123a batteries, I recommend buying them online. Either from Surefire, or another supplier. I'm currently using Surefire batteries, and have used Titanium ones before. In my light they both get about the same run time as Energizers, for a fraction of the price. I think I paid $1 each for the Titanium, and like $1.75 for the Surefires, when the place I bought the Titanium brand went offline. Energizers bought at Wal-Mart: about $6 each.

(Washington County)

Yeah, batteries were my largest concern. Any rechargables? As I said, it will probably see extensive use, and I could see going broke quickly with it.

E2D. check out the end caps on this....

(York County)

Too damned expensive for a flashlight. I got one as a gift for Xmas last year, it was the surefire tactical/elite. Very small, very brite, brite as the sun in fact. But it shattered the 1st time I dropped it on a call. Stuck in a back alley with no street lamps and my 85 dollar light breaks, no thanx, never again.

Dave
    3%

(Washington County)

What are the better alternatives? The wife demands waterproof and indestructible, any money I save on this gets ammo for me, and I'll likely get stuck buying the batteries. I want her to have reliable, but I've found that "best" and most expensive aren't always the same. Unless it's that "Extreme Shock" ammo, of course.

(York County)

Surefire has a real good warranty for their lights, but for cheaper alternatives you can check out streamlights, innova, and Fenix among others. I would say that you definitely want to go with an LED bulb as opposed to the old fashioned xenon or incandescents. These new bulbs are incredible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast