Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Colt Police Positive

Anyone own one?

The LGS has a few in .32 New Police in the $250-$295 range [holster ware and fading bluing]. I'm tempted to pick one up because I've always wanted a Colt. Mostly it would be to add to the collection and some range time.

Anyone have any feedback on a .32 Police Positive?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Colt Police Positive

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    Anyone own one?

The LGS has a few in .32 New Police in the $250-$295 range [holster ware and fading bluing]. I'm tempted to pick one up because I've always wanted a Colt. Mostly it would be to add to the collection and some range time.

Are they in .32 long colt or .32 s&w? I believe they were made in both cartridges. If there LC ammo can be tough to come by. If you're into reloading you can make them from. .38 special brass. As far as guns go they're pretty decent little revolvers. As long as the timing is fine I don't think it would be a bad pick up for the price.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Are they in .32 long colt or .32 s&w? I believe they were made in both cartridges. If there LC ammo can be tough to come by. If you're into reloading you can make them from. .38 special brass. As far as guns go they're pretty decent little revolvers. As long as the timing is fine I don't think it would be a bad pick up for the price.
    Their in .32 New Police [aka .32 S&W Long]

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    Anyone own one?

They're a bit to small for my hands, but they will still be a decent gun assuming they don't have any issues. They're also much more common than S&W hand ejectors in that cartridge and are going to be better than the average POS saturday night special .32 you'll find

The Colt police positives contain the same lock-work type as you find in Colt Python and Detective Special. Check the timing on any Colt revolver like these VERY CAREFULLY to make sure the gun is properly timed. Do a google search on how to do this: it is VERY DIFFERENT from any Smith or Ruger check. It involves slowly cocking the hammer and watching the locking bolt do various things at various times during the hammer stroke.

Also, check the endshake while the trigger is at rest. It should be NO MORE than .003.

I say these things because repairing these particular revolvers takes a gunsmith who is trained and experienced with Colt revolvers, AND who has access to Colt parts (like the hand). Sending it back to Colt is another option, but both of these options are not cheap.

The police positive is a good little revolver, but will not be able to stand up to the round count that a comparable Ruger or Smith can. As a collector piece, it's very cool.