Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Pistol to Califorinia

I have a neighbor who has a question. A pistol transfer from Uncle(deceased) to Aunt (Sister and Mother) to nephew (and son) in CA from PA?

The gun is a .22 auto with 10 round magazine.

Any ideas on transfer amd shipping to CA?

Thank You

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Pistol to Califorinia

Even though direct person to person bequeathed firearms are legal transfers under federal law - CA requires registration and a waiting period. ...so that means a FFL on their end.

Another thing to consider is - CA only allows certain guns to be brought into CA. The CA AG has a list posted of the firearms that passed the drop test.

Look the make and model up here: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

this may be unrelated but I thought CA just added a whole bunch more red tape for transfers to CA residents... anyone know anything about that?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Centre County)

I don't have all the paperwork in front of me right now but now, to be able (as an FFL), to ship to another FFL in CA, there is new paperwork that has to be completed and sent to CA to become certified to ship guns to CA. If this paperwork has not been completed you cannot ship guns to CA, no ifs, ands or buts.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

The new laws to California are relatively simple and can be completed online in about 5 minutes. Once an FFL is registered with the California DOJ all they need is a five digit code from the receiving dealer. That code is entered into the site once logged in and they will receive an approval code. The approval code must be clearly marked on the outside of the box and on any paperwork inside.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Even though direct person to person bequeathed firearms are legal transfers under federal law - CA requires registration and a waiting period. ...so that means a FFL on their end.

Another thing to consider is - CA only allows certain guns to be brought into CA. The CA AG has a list posted of the firearms that passed the drop test.

How far do they drop them for them to pass the drop test??

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Lancaster County)

Doesn't apply to something you owned previously out of state. Only stipulation is you have to have mags for it that are 10 rounds or less and no threaded barrels.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Doesn't apply to something you owned previously out of state. Only stipulation is you have to have mags for it that are 10 rounds or less and no threaded barrels.
    Correct, that you owned previously. But if a FFL imports one into the state for a transfer it applies. Which in this case, the recipient didn't already own it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    How far do they drop them for them to pass the drop test??

I think 3 or 5 feet.

Correct, that you owned previously. But if a FFL imports one into the state for a transfer it applies. Which in this case, the recipient didn't already own it.
    I don't believe that's true. The "approved" list only pertains to commercial (not private) "sales' in CA. If I understand correctly the transfer described in this thread is not a sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast