Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default SOUTH CAROLINA - obtaining coverage via SC Non- Res property owners permit

FIRST POST TO FOLLOW -
    GENERAL INFO ON STATES RECOGNIZING RESIDENT PERMITS ONLY

SECOND POST TO FOLLOW -
    SPECIFIC INFO ON SC

(ORIGINAL THREAD) -- Re: UTAH CCW CLASS TO BE OFFERED IN BUCKS CO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------(larain60)

Is SC the state you need to own real estate as a non resident to qualify for ccw?

If so, lets get a pool going and buy a vacant piece of property.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Allegheny County)

Default GENERAL INFO ON STATES RECOGNIZING RESIDENT PERMITS ONLY

There are 7 states where you can only carry upon meeting two conditions:

--you must have a permit issued by a state with which they have written or statutory reciprocity or recognition

__AND__

-- you must be a RESIDENT of that state

The 7 states are:
    CO - NH - FL - MI - WV - KS - SC

A PA Resident with a PA LTCF is covered in the first 5.

There is no agreement between PA and KS and likely will not be anytime soon, as PA has no educational or training requirement.

Also, Kansas does not issue a non-resident permit.

There is NO legal way for a PA resident who is not active or retired Law Enforcement to carry in Kansas.

There is no agreement between PA and SC for the same reason - education.

SC does have a little known non-resident permit, only available to property owners. More info in post to follow...

(Allegheny County)

Default SPECIFIC INFO ON SOUTH CAROLINA; who would benefit, +/- 's

SC does have a little known non-resident permit, only available to property owners.

A non-resident of SC who owns property there can show their property tax receipt and be issued a SC non-resident permit.

It would be possible for several of us to jointly purchase a small vacant lot, less than an acre.

Ideally, a forum member or their family may already own a hunting camp or similar there and be willing to sell a small, even landlocked, portion of it.
    We could lease it back to the original owner for $1 provided they maintain it (so we dont have to pay someone to mow, plow, or otherwise maintain the grounds, etc...) . They make a few bucks and still have control of their property. We all benefit by qualifying for the permit.

We would have shared ownership, split the taxes, each get a receipt.
    We could each then apply to SLED for a South Carolina Non-Resident permit.

WHO WOULD THIS BENEFIT:
    -- folks with family in SC
    -- folks who travel the coast frequently and must pass thru SC
    -- key item: SC is the # 1 state in terms of retired military population, this could be especially attractive to former military or their family who wish to visit there
    -- permit "collectors" who enjoy applying for as many Non-Resident permits as they can ( I have 5 and counting myself ... )

WHO WOULD THIS NOT BE AS MUCH BENEFIT TO:
    -- folks who would be traveling through SC non-stop to vacation in Florida, for example ...

WHY? - SC at present does have some very liberal vehicle carry laws, you can keep a handgun in a latched (not required to be locked) container such as a glovebox or center console. You can also carry directly from your vehicle to a place of lodging, whether that be staying at a friends, a rented cabin, or a hotel / motel / bed & breakfast. You CANNOT carry anywhere else on foot.

I am from Pittsburgh, PA with a second home in southwest Virginia less than 25 min. from Mt Airy, NC and I 77 / I 81. South Carolina is a day trip to me

Should there be any folks with a legal background, particularly with experience in real estate / property, their comments would be welcome as well...

... let the thread begin
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; July 20th, 2008 at 12:06 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: SOUTH CAROLINA - obtaining coverage via SC Non- Res property owners permit

I'll chip in if the amount is reasonable.
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SPECIFIC INFO ON SOUTH CAROLINA; who would benefit, +/- 's

I'd love to chip in seeing as I go to SC quite frequently. I know that according to South Carolina Law you must be able to get the recorder of deeds in the county that the land is in to fill out a form that is then turned into SLED with the application.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: SOUTH CAROLINA - obtaining coverage via SC Non- Res property owners permit

I will chip in if it's reasonable. I have a lot of family in SC.

I have permits now for PA (resident), FL, UT, Massachusset, Connecticut, North Dakota, New Hampshire, and Maine. It's like baseball card collecting :-)

As for carry to your hotel in SC. The SC statute is clear. you can only carry from your vehicle to your hotel room if you have paid the hotel tax!!!

so first you have to walk into the hotel unarmed. Pay then walk back to the car unarmed and get your gun and luggage!!! what a charlie foxtrot that must be!!!

Greg

(Philadelphia County)

Kansas has reciprocity but only with Resident states. It further adds to the arguement that PA should require training. We would probably get a lot more states.

I don't need Kansas though. I will just click my heels three times and say their's no place like home!!!

here here toto!!

greg
    Last edited by gbrown221; July 20th, 2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: -

(Armstrong County)

I can chip in as well
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Allegheny County)

post to "bump" to ensure visibility

I am figuring on allowing approx 15 days from the original post to see how much interest / support we gather, then pursuing via research on available property

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    It further adds to the arguement that PA should require training. We would probably get a lot more states.
    That ups the national ante toward disarmament. (i.e. We often sees courts and parties point to things like 'how many states are doing this' as an example of what something 'should' be...)

Making a deal with the devil is not really ideal.

I would consider owning property in SC.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast