Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default LTCF Renewal - Taking aim at requirements

So, I got my LTCF renewal notice in the mail the other day, and as I am busily filling it out, I get to Item 21 and 22: Employer/Business Name and their work telephone number.

Am I the only one that views this as somewhat invasive and sketchy, especially if your employer is contacted and required to answer questions relating to your ability to be responsible with firearms?

This brings to light a whole host of related questions, such as, your employer/supervisor doesn't get along with you, or you have personal issues with your boss that could influence your boss into getting your LTCF denied (or worse) when the PA State Police come calling.

Am I off track here, taking this too far/jumping to conclusions? Personally, it's none of my employers business if I apply for a LTCF or not, as I belong to the school of thought that the less people who know that I carry (or have the ability to), the better.

What's everyone's take on this?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: LTCF Renewal - Taking aim at requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    So, I got my LTCF renewal notice in the mail the other day, and as I am busily filling it out, I get to Item 21 and 22: Employer/Business Name and their work telephone number.

Am I the only one that views this as somewhat invasive and sketchy, especially if your employer is contacted and required to answer questions relating to your ability to be responsible with firearms?

This brings to light a whole host of related questions, such as, your employer/supervisor doesn't get along with you, or you have personal issues with your boss that could influence your boss into getting your LTCF denied (or worse) when the PA State Police come calling.

Am I off track here, taking this too far/jumping to conclusions? Personally, it's none of my employers business if I apply for a LTCF or not, as I belong to the school of thought that the less people who know that I carry (or have the ability to), the better.

What's everyone's take on this?
    Three thoughts:

1. It has no business being on there.
    2. It's probably not coming off without a court decision or act of the legislature.
    3. We should go Constitutional Carry in PA.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(York County)

This was covered in a recent thread, although I don't recall whether it was the original topic. I write "N/A".

Employment is not a requirement, neither is employer info. It's often a bad idea to leave blank areas in forms, esp. gov't forms, and it's a really bad idea to put false info.

I can find nothing wrong with the answer "N/A", short for "not applicable".

I used it on my original and on my renewal and so did my wife, and the folks at the York county Sheriff's Dept never batted an eye, but they are pretty 2A-friendly folks. Your mileage may vary.

I also agree with twency's thoughts.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post

Get a business license for $25 or whatever they charge here. Congratulations, you are now self employed.

Unless the form says to list ALL employers, I think you're good.

Last edited by davenbuster; November 23rd, 2017 at 10:01 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I put N/A on both my initial app and my recent renewal in Allegheny and was approved.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=277563
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

I'm self employed now but when I was working for someone back in the eighties I always put it down and no one ever contacted my employer. I know we can get paranoid on issues like this but that question could be there as a "CHECK".

What I mean by this is, is this person employed in a legitimate job? If you are not working and not retired why would you need a CCW. If you don't have a job how are you paying your bills? Illegal gambling, Drug Dealing, Prostitution, Criminal that hasn't got caught yet?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    I'm self employed now but when I was working for someone back in the eighties I always put it down and no one ever contacted my employer. I know we can get paranoid on issues like this but that question could be there as a "CHECK".

What I mean by this is, is this person employed in a legitimate job? If you are not working and not retired why would you need a CCW. If you don't have a job how are you paying your bills? Illegal gambling, Drug Dealing, Prostitution, Criminal that hasn't got caught yet?
    "If you are not working and not retired why would you need a CCW."

Really? I wasn't aware that being unemployed eliminated the possibility of needing to defend oneself. How about we eliminate all crime by making everyone quit their jobs?

"If you don't have a job how are you paying your bills?"

Savings? Trust Fund? Spouse?

How about none of the government's business.

Is a stay-at-home parent not engaged in a "legitimate job"? Or do they just never have any need to carry a firearm for defensive purposes?
    Last edited by twency; May 14th, 2015 at 10:43 AM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    "If you are not working and not retired why would you need a CCW."

Really? I wasn't aware that being unemployed eliminated the possibility of needing to defend oneself. How about we eliminate all crime by making everyone quit their jobs?

"If you don't have a job how are you paying your bills?"

Savings? Trust Fund? Spouse?

How about none of the government's business.

Is a stay-at-home parent not engaged in a "legitimate job"? Or do they just never have any need to carry a firearm for defensive purposes?
    This.

(Delaware County)

I used MY OWN work number on the form. No one called and it wasn't a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast