Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default British expat - Looking forward to being able to shoot

Hi all,

First post here so please be gentle. I apologise in advance if my search skills are lacking but all I could find was stuff dating back to 2011/2012 so thought I'd make a new post.

I recently moved to PA from the UK. Here for at least three years on an L1A Visa but will most likely be here longer (if I get my way I will be going for residency/green card)

I've been looking forward to being able to shoot here in the U.S. Spent some time in the service so being around guns is not a new experience for me and was hoping to do some three gun or practical pistol/ipsc if possible.

Issue I have is I can't find an up to date explanation of the laws in PA for gun ownership by a non-citizen. could someone please confirm for me the following:

Have to prove residency - 30 or 90 days of bills etc.
    Have to show Visa, passport, i94, PA drivers license, etc.
    Has to be 90 consecutive days, any break the clock starts again
    Have to acquire a PA hunting license (not sure if need to take a training course for this or not)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: British expat - Looking forward to being able to shoot

Not sure of all the rules. My ex wife was a Brit. Sort of a souvenir of the time I served over there. Despite her you guys were alright. One of the worst hangovers I ever endured was after a night out with some British airman. They were drinking Lowenbrau extra dark extra stout and my pride wouldn't let them out do me.

I thought you had to have a green card but I could be wrong, probably am. Never the less welcome to the states and Pa.

Here is a link where you can take your hunters safety online if you choose to do so.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvani...FUlk7Aodhy4AvQ

This may be helpful too.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ing-firearms-1
    Last edited by pennlineman; May 2nd, 2015 at 11:31 PM.

(Bucks County)

I know citizens don't need a hunting license to own firearms. Not sure about noncitizens but, I don't think you would need one either. You'll want to clarify that with someone else, though.

(Wayne County)

Would the court case that the courts just ruled on about noncitizens being able to arm/buy apply to the OP?

(Chester County)

Welcome! I hope you find some answers. If you want to shoot at my club just PM me.

(Warren County)

Do you live in PA?
    Do you have a PA drivers license?

If yes twice you are a resident.

Non-prohibited PA residents can buy and sell long arms without any official paperwork. I have bought and sold a lotta rifles and shotguns in parking lots and over kitchen tables, legally in every instance.

Handguns require paperwork and a background check, and I don't have the forms in front of me.

I will wait for other expertise to chime in on the paperwork.

Above all, DO NOT LIE ON THE PAPERWORK.

Welcome to USA & PA. Please discard any residual nanny state expectations that big government should control your life or your neighbor's lives.

FREEDOM!! or what's left of it.....
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Welcome to the States, bruv...
    Last edited by R.A.D.; May 9th, 2015 at 08:04 AM.

(Juniata County)

Although. It close to you I know Erik at Middle Creek Shooting supply in. Snyder County has some Non -American customers. I would give him a ring as he has already looking into the laws.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Do you live in PA?
    Do you have a PA drivers license?

If yes twice you are a resident.
    No, he's an alien.

I think your question is coming more from federal law than PA law. I believe that people who are not permanent residents of the US (Green Card or Citizenship) are not permitted to possess firearms by the federal government unless they receive an exemption from the US State Department or, in some cases, a hunting license. I'm not sure if the hunting license would allow you to possess firearms for IPSC and 3-gun or just for hunting. I don't know these laws well so I am not going to look them up and try to explain them to you. I would do no better than you could.

Best of luck.

(Delaware County)

Greetings fellow Briton!

If you're a permanent resident/resident alien (i.e. you have a green card), there's an extra step on the 4473 (you have to provide your Alien Registration Number) and the background check, I believe, has to go through both PICS and ICE.

Since you're here on an L-1A visa (a temporary work visa), I believe you would have to answer 'yes' to 11.l. on the 4473 ("are you an alien admitted to the U.S. under a nonimmigrant visa?").

Question 12 lists exceptions that would qualify you to purchase a firearm. I've copied the exceptions directly from the instructions on the 4473, as found on ATF's website:
    Question 12. Exceptions to the Nonimmigrant Alien Response: An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the alien:
    (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by
    the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired;
    (2) was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes;
    (3) has received a waiver from the prohibition from the Attorney General of the United States;
    (4) is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States;
    (5) is en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited;
    (6) is an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State;
    or (7) is a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

Persons subject to one of these exceptions should answer “yes” to questions 11.l. and 12 and provide documentation such as a copy of the hunting license or letter granting the waiver, which must be recorded in 20.c. If the transferee (buyer) answered “yes” to this question, the licensee must complete 20.c.

The seller should verify supporting documentation provided by the purchaser and must attach a copy of the provided documentation to this ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.
    I am not a lawyer. This is not intended to be construed as professional legal advice.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast