Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Unhappy Felon & gun ownership

I am looking for help if there is any.
    I'm 70 years old, I received a felony conviction when I was 19 years. Through the years I have purchased and sold guns.
    That was when I was young and I had no problem getting guns over the counter. I went in the Merchant Marines (USMM)for thirty years. Guns weren't in my life much other than that I owned some.
    Retirement bought back the desire to shoot again so a few years later I decided that I wanted another pistol. After picking one out and filling out all the paperwork, I was turned down.
    I did a personal Pa State Police background check on myself. Two weeks later I got the report and there it was; three Felons for the same incident and a Misdemeanor For driving without a license. Both times I served very little time (2-3 months total) which seemed not to mater anyway.
    I don't know why at my age I'm upset with this, but I seem to be. Is there anyway I can get this very old mess cleaned up? Anyone?
    Charlie

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Felon & gun ownership

You need to consult a lawyer. The road to owning/being in the presence of guns legally for you will be a long one, expensive, and there will be no guarantee for your efforts.

The 1st step would be to get the charges expunged it possible. If I remember correctly, at 70 years old you are eligible for expungement of your charges if you've been crime free for 10 years in PA.

If in fact you can get your charges expunged that is only the beginning. At that point you and your legal team would have to apply for a pardon from Comrade Tom Wolf. A Pardon is a longshot to say the least.

If the commie bastard does approve your pardon, then you would apply to have your gun rights restored.

Like I said consult an expert, there are several that frequent this board. Good luck, Charlie.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; April 26th, 2015 at 12:37 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Mercer County)

You just admitted online to possessing guns as a convicted felon. If I were you, I'd delete all of those bits immediately. Your best bet is to speak with an attorney, as you have very limited options. A Governor's pardon will be your best bet. The first shot is the most important one, so make sure you have an attorney that is familiar with this.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Jefferson County)

You have two avenues being that you are 70yo.

1. Formal pardon, and then an expungement of the convictions.

2. Since you are 70yo, you can petition to have your rights restored(so long as you haven't had any run-ins in the past 10-15 years).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wayne County)

Yes, and the third option is to die. In PA once you are dead you are eligible to have your record cleared!

YAY!

I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Tioga County)

There was a 75 year old man recently here locally that had a felony conviction from 1961 and tried to buy a gun at the local gun store. He ended up being charged by the State Police and probably the same is going to happen to you in short order, so without delay you need to obtain a lawyer familiar with gun issues and you should delete your post.

The law is clear and there is no gray area I can see in either PA or federal law. If you have a background with felony convictions you cannot possess firearms, buy them, sell them, touch them, shoot them or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    If you have a background with felony convictions you cannot possess firearms, buy them, sell them, touch them, shoot them or anything else.
    Doesn't that include ammo as well?

(Delaware County)

Is this even a real post??? If so get a lawyer and delete this post where you admit to committing multiple felonies.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck-it View Post
    I am looking for help if there is any.
    I'm 70 years old, I received a felony conviction when I was 19 years. Through the years I have purchased and sold guns.
    That was when I was young and I had no problem getting guns over the counter. I went in the Merchant Marines (USMM)for thirty years. Guns weren't in my life much other than that I owned some.
    Retirement bought back the desire to shoot again so a few years later I decided that I wanted another pistol. After picking one out and filling out all the paperwork, I was turned down.
    I did a personal Pa State Police background check on myself. Two weeks later I got the report and there it was; three Felons for the same incident and a Misdemeanor For driving without a license. Both times I served very little time (2-3 months total) which seemed not to mater anyway.
    I don't know why at my age I'm upset with this, but I seem to be. Is there anyway I can get this very old mess cleaned up? Anyone?
    Charlie

f1013d0b_909263d6_2291482-not_sure_if_serious.jpg
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Doesn't the state police background check only take 10 minutes online? I remember I had to do mine and bring it with me for a job I applied for 4+ years ago.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast