Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Orange for spring Gobblers?

I haven't been able to find the regs on this question.

Please help!

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Orange for spring Gobblers?

See the link to the page on the Hunting and Trapping Digest. Under none required Spring Turkey is listed

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pgc/...igest1415/#/64
    The Lord Bless You

(Montgomery County)

Although not required, I would not walk the woods without an orange cap and vest. Hide it all once settled in my spot.
    Walking into the woods predawn in not so scary, but if you give up before the hunting stops (noon?) and have yo collect decoys, I don't want an idiot to mistake me.

(Bucks County)

I use a shotgun. I suppose you could throw an orange at them. Might only scare 'em off though. Or, it might piss 'em off. Scary looking birds! I'm certainly not up for playing 'angry birds' with a scary looking thing wearing spurs!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    See the link to the page on the Hunting and Trapping Digest. Under none required Spring Turkey is listed

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pgc/...igest1415/#/64
    Thank you

I agree that orange is a good idea when moving through the woods.

I also like a nice orange in the woods, but tangerines are so much easier to peel

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Orange for spring Gobblers?

PEELED? !?!?!?!!?! That's animal cruelty, Bub!! You ever get citric acid in your eye? That stuff hurts!!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Although not required, I would not walk the woods without an orange cap and vest. Hide it all once settled in my spot.
    Walking into the woods predawn in not so scary, but if you give up before the hunting stops (noon?) and have yo collect decoys, I don't want an idiot to mistake me.
    I agree
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

I wear my blaze orange vest into the turkey woods , it's nice as it holds everything I carry.
    I used to take it off on stand and sit on it or hide it some but then one day I just got lazy and kept it on.
    killed my last 3 birds while wearing it.
    My friend was peppered once while walking down a dirt road , he thinks he was mistaken for a bird , I suppose that's possible if the shooter were blind.
    I told him , I thought it was a "HIT".

Some people do shoot at anything that moves , not very SPORT sounding but it happens.

I remember a news incident in which a woman ended up looking down the barrel of a rifle , the rifle holder said he supposedly mistook her for a deer.

The woman was in a tree stand.

I mean , come on now. In a tree?
    My guess is he was glassing her and either way he should have been flooged.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    I wear my blaze orange vest into the turkey woods , it's nice as it holds everything I carry.
    I used to take it off on stand and sit on it or hide it some but then one day I just got lazy and kept it on.
    killed my last 3 birds while wearing it.
    My friend was peppered once while walking down a dirt road , he thinks he was mistaken for a bird , I suppose that's possible if the shooter were blind.
    I told him , I thought it was a "HIT".

Some people do shoot at anything that moves , not very SPORT sounding but it happens.

I remember a news incident in which a woman ended up looking down the barrel of a rifle , the rifle holder said he supposedly mistook her for a deer.

The woman was in a tree stand.

I mean , come on now. In a tree?
    My guess is he was glassing her and either way he should have been flooged.

Last May I was out, snuggled against a thick tree and I heard a guy take 5 shots, yes 5. 3 rapid and about 30 seconds later 2 more. It was definitely the same gun firing, all the shots sounded exactly the same and from same direction. Maybe it was two or three guys with the same kind of gun and the same ammo, sitting together, but I think it was just one trigger happy blind man.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Orange for spring Gobblers?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Last May I was out, snuggled against a thick tree and I heard a guy take 5 shots, yes 5. 3 rapid and about 30 seconds later 2 more. It was definitely the same gun firing, all the shots sounded exactly the same and from same direction. Maybe it was two or three guys with the same kind of gun and the same ammo, sitting together, but I think it was just one trigger happy blind man.
    Probably arrived in a truck with NJ or NY plates! If it's brown, it's down!! Sort of like winning the lottery. "Kill it and let's see what we got!!" If I am headed to the woods and see NJ or NY plates, I just keep going. Find a safe place to hunt.

Last Spring, I went with a buddy and his kid (12). the kid had recently gotten a scratch caller from his Grandma for his birthday. He was annoying everyone with it. Walking around the neighborhood, at dinner table, in Sunday School class. Calling turkeys. Got really good at it.

We walked into the woods, he was calling. A turkey responded. It was TOO GOOD. Couldn't be a turkey. It was TOO real and TOO close and TOO responsive/eager/angry. He kept calling while I quickly set up my home-made blind. The return calling was too real. Had to be another hunter. Probably another hunter responding in a way of saying, "I'm hunting here. Move along". I told them this. They wouldn't listen to me. Kid kept calling. Responder kept getting closer. BIGGEST DAMNED TURKY I EVER SAW WALKED OUT IN FRONT OF US !!!! Holy CRAP! That kid can call turkeys! We were both so excited , we both missed!

Yeah, he got a pass on missing because of his youth and inexperience. Me? I got labeled an 'animal lover' 'PETA member' 'tree hugger'.

I'm headed to Turkey Camp this Friday evening. Camping all weekend and hunting Saturday and Monday. Yes, of course the kid is coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast