Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sig P229

Default Sig P229

So I have the option to buy a Sig P229 with a .357Sig and .40 Barrel.

It is used and has signs of carry wear on it, but the internals are in good shape.

My questions are

1. Is $600 a fair price?
    2. Is Sig worth the price?

I have a Glock 32 in .357 Sig and plenty of ammo which is why I'm staying with .357 Sig caliber.

Is there enough of a difference between the Sig and the Glock to warrant the extra cost?

Thanks in advance for the input!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Sig P229

Quote Originally Posted by Thehersh13 View Post
    1. Is $600 a fair price?
    2. Is Sig worth the price?
    1. Depends on how much wear, and how good are the "good" internals? As it comes with 2 barrels, I don't think it sounds like an unfair price.
    2. If you can afford it, absolutely. Sig manufactures quality firearms. Almost every day, I regret trading off my P226.

Quote Originally Posted by Thehersh13 View Post
    Is there enough of a difference between the Sig and the Glock to warrant the extra cost?
    It depends on who you ask. I like Sig's metal frames. It feels sturdier, but the tradeoff is a lot of extra weight. In terms of function and reliability, both are top notch. The biggest difference (beside the frame material) is that the Glock has no external safety, and the Sig has a de-cocking lever.

At the range or in a defensive situation, the Glock will see you through. The Sig will see you through, stylishly

Also, with the Sig, you might want to consider getting the Short Reset Trigger package if it doesn't already have it. Makes the trigger 50x better.
    Last edited by ChemicalReaper; April 17th, 2015 at 04:45 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Which version of the 229 are you trading for? If memory serves, there are 4 or 5 versions, all with different prices and setups. Depending on the model $600 would be a great price; I'd er on the side of caution, though. Test fire if at all possible to ensure it checks out.

I personally don't like Sigs purely as a matter of preference. They're accurate, reliable and tend to have some of the best DA/SA triggers on the market. The downsides are that they tend to be too big and the bore axis on most of their guns is very high (which ultimately means a tiny bit more felt recoil; for a lot of calibers this might not be noticeable). If you have small hands the slim grips they offer for most of their guns are still too big for many people. But, hey, if the worst you hear is "the grips are too big" they're doing everything else right.

(Allegheny County)

I have shot my Gold Cup, HK45, and many Glocks often, but the first time I shot my Sig P229 I knew it was true Love. Others have shot it and immediately love the way it feels and more importantly how it shoots.
    It is my favorite gun to shoot. If the condition is good $600 is fair. I bought mine used for $650 2 years ago and would never sell it. I always wanted a Sig and now I want more of them.
    Good luck

In the shape as described, you got a good deal. The least expensive of the P-229s cost at least a couple of hundred more for a dealer to get them in their shop.
    We have had our P-229 Scorpion for about a year and absolutely love it. It comes with their Short Reset Trigger, night sights, Hogue G-10 Grips and FDE finish. The first time I tried a double tap with the SRT I thought that it had double.
    Enjoy yours and if you do not have the SRT, I would look into adding it.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Thanks for everyone's input. Sounds like its a fair deal and that my lust for the sig hasn't been misplaced!

Hopefully I can still pick it up before someone else does!

Does this P229 have A rail?
    If it has A rail it is A newer Gen gun,
    If no rail it would be an older P229 in 40 S&W, the 357 Sig barrel would be the add on.
    The main thing you want to do is remove the slide and look for excessive wear on the frame slide rails.

You will see A bit, but it should not be A lot.

That being said, $600.00 for A non railed P229 with the extra barrel is A good price.

The last P229 non railed that I bought was $500.00 shipped, and it was pristene.

(Chester County)

Love my 229. Got it new as a surplus inventory item with 3 mags for $525 last year... $600 may be a little high for used but it does come with both the 357 and the 40 barrel options.

If you haven't found it yet, check out sigforum. It is a great resource for all things sig.

Good luck!