Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default opinions on handling Law Enforcement

Here is a post I made in another thread. again I am just looking for opinions on different ways to handle the situation. I definitely understand the rights of individuals but well would just like as much info as possible.

Im a bit new to the board and apologize for not posting much but I do have a question. I will be applying for my LTCF soon. I just feel its a better option for me most of the times.

I am just not sure why you guys want to give the cops such a hard time and provide no info whatsoever. I understand you dont have too. I respect that and if that is your choice and I dont hold it against anyone for doing that. However for me I would never do it. Id rather act friendly give any info I can and try to help cops understand that good law abiding citizens carry firearms and leave them with a positive experience with as little added difficulty etc etc.

Im just not sure why you preach not to give any info if it is not required. Just because something is not required of you by law does not mean it is the bes or most responsible action to take. I am asking to LEARN not asking to judge people. Please understand that.

Im not saying I would fold completely and unload my gun and put it away or whatever else he said.

Im not sure cause it has not happened to me but I would most likely act almost exactly as the OP did in this case.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: opinions on handling Law Enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFeet View Post
    Here is a post I made in another thread. again I am just looking for opinions on different ways to handle the situation. I definitely understand the rights of individuals but well would just like as much info as possible.

Im a bit new to the board and apologize for not posting much but I do have a question. I will be applying for my LTCF soon. I just feel its a better option for me most of the times.

I am just not sure why you guys want to give the cops such a hard time and provide no info whatsoever. I understand you dont have too. I respect that and if that is your choice and I dont hold it against anyone for doing that. However for me I would never do it. Id rather act friendly give any info I can and try to help cops understand that good law abiding citizens carry firearms and leave them with a positive experience with as little added difficulty etc etc.

Im just not sure why you preach not to give any info if it is not required. Just because something is not required of you by law does not mean it is the bes or most responsible action to take. I am asking to LEARN not asking to judge people. Please understand that.

Im not saying I would fold completely and unload my gun and put it away or whatever else he said.

Im not sure cause it has not happened to me but I would most likely act almost exactly as the OP did in this case.
    It's not about wanting to intentionally give LEO's a hard time. LEO's usually want to give us a hard time.

Many encounters are had with LEO's that feel they are above the law, and can do whatever they want. They often approach you without RAS, and demand identification, or more. I most certainly would not want to make it easier for these rogue LEO's to violate my rights by providing them with information that I am not legally required to provide.

Proud member of:

(Lebanon County)

The more you say the more likely you are to give them RAS for a search, or detention where they had none originally. You CANNOT talk your way out of trouble. You CAN very easily, and without even knowing it, talk yourself into trouble.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Indiana County)

One good reason is to avoid self-incrimination. If you answer the question "wrong"--out of fear or whatever, you could be charged with a crime; something like loitering and prowling, for example. There's nothing wrong with acting friendly, but remember, contrary to what you may have been taught, the police officer is not your friend. I sincerely doubt the police officer is requesting to check your identification so he can remember your birthday and send you a card. The whole time he's asking you questions and searching through your stuff he's looking for a reason to arrest you. Always be honest and friendly, but it's not always wise to surrender your rights.

(Philadelphia County)

Lets see..

a cop's primary purpose is to put warm bodies into jail-cells.

If you minimize the interaction with cops, your chances of ending up in a jail cell minimize as well.

And this is coming from a person who's never met a "bad" cop; meaning, every cop I've had the displeasure of having to talk with, has been 100% courteous and professional.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

Highly recommended viewing:
    Don't talk to the police!

Recommended reading:
    You & the Police!

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFeet View Post

I think you need to be polite to the person who has the power to put you in jail, regardless of the legality of his or her action. I worked briefly in a couple of jails, and regardless of why you are in there, you are just as locked up as everyone else, and that stinks. So I think you, I, everyone, needs to be polite and businesslike when dealing with the police.

That does not mean you have to be friendly. You can be professional. That is to say, you can treat the other person with common courtesy. It does not mean you have to comply with requests you know to be illegal. If the officer asks, or even tells you to do something, it is not "unfriendly" to respond that you are not required to do that according to the law. Of course, it is very important to know what the law is! The officer may not know the law and insist. Then you need to decide how hard you want to fight then and there for your rights.

Complying under force is better than getting shot. It is also better than ending up in the pokey. However, if you are willing and prepared to do some time in the slammer to prove a point, make sure you know what point you are going to prove. Each situation and each person is different. Some officers are going to be polite and reasonable. Then there are the ones who aren't. Part of your response is going to be dictated by the mindset of the person with whom you are interacting. It can be anywhere from a laid back Andy Griffith type to someone who will shoot you with a gun from the lockup and then plant it on someone else. You need to decide on the spot.

But in the end, a uniform and a badge do not require you to do whatever they say as soon as they say it. A lot of officers like that idea, because people like to have power over other people. It is a real rush to be able to give orders and have someone else obey them. You need to know what the law truly requires of you and how far you are willing to go to prove that point before you encounter one of these officers, so that your encounter will go as well as possible.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    The more you say the more likely you are to give them RAS for a search, or detention where they had none originally. You CANNOT talk your way out of trouble. You CAN very easily, and without even knowing it, talk yourself into trouble.
    Exactly!!!!

Snippet of the Miranda Rights...
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.
    Bold is mine.

It is either the officer's job or the officer's prerogative to inconvenience you. Why would you be interested in anything but 'inconveniencing' him (per your claim of 'giving them a hard time')? They made the move to give someone a hard time first.

(Mercer County)

The best way to handle any law enforcement is to keep your mouth shut.
    If the police want to continue with the "third" degree, plead the Fifth Amendment, and ask for a "mouthpiece."

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast