Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Interesting Moment With Some Adrenaline

I was out hiking the Wissahickon Trail/Forbidden Drive today in Philly today after work. Really beautiful weather and the trail is a lot of fun. But you definitely have to be careful, as circumstance has it...

Towards the end of my walk in a side trail that's nearly unpopulated, my spidey senses tingle and I turn around to a very large pitbull bolting toward me. I caught him quick enough that I was able to take a defensive stance and I quickly see the owner running towards as well. I move my hand towards my holster while backing up and creating distance, ready to draw if necessary but very luckily the dog stops with about 15 yards to go until me. In full transparency, I probably would have used hands/feet and some agility before pulling the trigger if it escalated. Maybe some will disagree, but a pretty big threshold has to be met to fire a shot.

This all happened in about 5 seconds I'm thinking. I immediately shout to the owner asking basically "is this for real or is he just playing". I figure that playing is probably the case - and it was, the owner just had no idea to how to control his animal.

I stop moving and the dog is still pretty out of control but the owner finally catches up. He apologizes and eventually the dog calms down and gets controlled (his own choice...). I said it was ok and walked away. No sense in shaming him, he knew what happened and how serious the situation was. Probably should have shamed the dog though myself since the owner didn't know to do that. Petting him after is only going to reinforce that wild behavior. I'm just very thankful it didn't get escalated more. I think shouting is what probably told "Gus" the dog he had better stop.

Going to pickup some OC spray for the trails. I think the side trails don't require you to leash pets.
    Last edited by jthrelf; April 13th, 2015 at 10:21 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Interesting Moment With Some Adrenaline

[QUOTE=jthrelf;3033158

Going to pickup some OC spray for the trails. I think the side trails don't require you to leash pets.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not, but there is a responsibility to control the animal! Good for you for not shooting the dog! Pit Bulls are actually VERY calm, socially friendly animals when treated correctly. Raised wrong, they are as bad as any breed!

(Delaware County)

Consider yourself lucky. I don't trust these Pit Bulls period. I also haven't been up that way since a dated a chick who lived on Henry Ave back in HS. I do like to bike and hike new trials, though. Where's a good place to park near the trail entrance?
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

AFAIK the Leash law would still apply. If you would have had to kill the Dog it would have been the Owners fault. The Dog only knows what it is taught, good or bad!

IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Mercer County)

Control your animal, or somebody will control it for you.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. I don't trust these Pit Bulls period. I also haven't been up that way since a dated a chick who lived on Henry Ave back in HS. I do like to bike and hike new trials, though. Where's a good place to park near the trail entrance?
    Plenty of parking near the Northwestern Equestrian center on Northwestern Ave, in Chestnut hill. That's the beginning of the trail on the north end. Right near Chestnut Hill College.

(Montgomery County)

Glad to hear that you were able to escape injury and killing the dog. In July I was doing a pro bono photography job for the SPCA photographing children and teens who volunteer to assist with the animals feeding, play, etc.

A pit bull decided it just needed to bite my left forearm. One second it was chasing a ball and two seconds later it had its teeth in my arm. I was CC that day, but I just could not expose the children, all of whom were watching, to the horror of seeing me shoot the dog. So I relied upon some Marine training when I was in recon training almost 50 years ago. I got the dog to release and then the dog handler got it on a leash. I really did not wan to shoot the dog unless there was no alternative.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I love dogs. I have 3.

That said, I have a healthy fear of large, potentially aggressive dogs. When dealing with them, if they become too aggressive such as rough play with the teeth, I found that making a fist and flexed arm while shoving my fist farther into the dogs mouth usually results in the dog gagging and releasing. Maybe a little alpha male lesson???

I'm not sure if this works only with dogs rough playing or if it would work on a truly aggressive and attacking dog.

Anyway, I would have had the gun drawn and pointed at the dog. 15 yards is too close for a snarling strange pit bull. I certainly would have informed the owner that his pet was close to getting shot.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    Anyway, I would have had the gun drawn and pointed at the dog. 15 yards is too close for a snarling strange pit bull. I certainly would have informed the owner that his pet was close to getting shot.
    The dog wasn't snarling, and that pushed me towards thinking I didn't have to draw. Maybe I should have been more specific to him about the potential consequences though.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I was out hiking the Wissahickon Trail/Forbidden Drive today in Philly today after work. Really beautiful weather and the trail is a lot of fun. But you definitely have to be careful, as circumstance has it...

Towards the end of my walk in a side trail that's nearly unpopulated, my spidey senses tingle and I turn around to a very large pitbull bolting toward me. I caught him quick enough that I was able to take a defensive stance and I quickly see the owner running towards as well. I move my hand towards my holster while backing up and creating distance, ready to draw if necessary but very luckily the dog stops with about 15 yards to go until me. In full transparency, I probably would have used hands/feet and some agility before pulling the trigger if it escalated. Maybe some will disagree, but a pretty big threshold has to be met to fire a shot.

This all happened in about 5 seconds I'm thinking. I immediately shout to the owner asking basically "is this for real or is he just playing". I figure that playing is probably the case - and it was, the owner just had no idea to how to control his animal.

I stop moving and the dog is still pretty out of control but the owner finally catches up. He apologizes and eventually the dog calms down and gets controlled (his own choice...). I said it was ok and walked away. No sense in shaming him, he knew what happened and how serious the situation was. Probably should have shamed the dog though myself since the owner didn't know to do that. Petting him after is only going to reinforce that wild behavior. I'm just very thankful it didn't get escalated more. I think shouting is what probably told "Gus" the dog he had better stop.

Going to pickup some OC spray for the trails. I think the side trails don't require you to leash pets.
    Really? Don't fool yourself. Wrestling with an irate dog is a two handed operation. Once the dog gets close enough for your hand-to-hand combat skills it's a totally different game. In the craziness of your kungfu match you're increasingly likely to shoot yourself or a bystander in the background.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast