Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Shotgun ID Help

(York County)

Default Shotgun ID Help

Recently came across this shotgun and need help identifying it. It is 12ga and is not marked at all other than the serial number. Thanks

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/ford...deshow/Shotgun
    Dead chickens don't smile.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Shotgun ID Help

Looks to me like a Belgium trade gun sold by many hardware stores around the turn of the century . Only shoot low pressure rounds ( black powder) . My wife has one with barrels identical to yours but is a hammer gun .
    DAN

you can use current low end birdshot rounds. but you're going to take a beating, stocks on these like to crack too.
    Being old it may have a 2 9/16 chamber as well.

IMHO, I'd clean it up and hang it up. The double trigger internal hammer designs are a nightmare if something goes wrong.
    Last edited by Stooperzero; April 8th, 2015 at 11:14 AM.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Monroe County)

I couldn't see any proof marks so it's not likely European. It looks as if the barrels have been cut back at one time.

Just an semi-clapped out gun- hang it on the wall.

YMMV

Looks nice. Not worth much. Looks like you've already got a broken spring in it?

I think post 3 meant single trigger. The 2-trigger setup is just 2 identical, very simple mechanisms side-by-side. All of them that I have ever seen use exactly the same setup. The 1-triggers can very in design, some were not good, and all were complicated.

I have an American-made gun that is otherwise like yours, and while I like it very much I think the safety in this design leaves a lot to be desired. All it does is prevent you from pulling the trigger- doesn't block either sear or firing pin, which is cocked automatically on closing and there's no decock mechanism. So it's not useful for any application where you would want to store it loaded. Given that and all the indications it's for black powder only, I'd make a wallhanger of it. It's a hell of a nice-looking gun with some character to it, so why not.
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by win67 View Post
    Looks nice. Not worth much. Looks like you've already got a broken spring in it?

I think post 3 meant single trigger. The 2-trigger setup is just 2 identical, very simple mechanisms side-by-side. All of them that I have ever seen use exactly the same setup. The 1-triggers can very in design, some were not good, and all were complicated.

I have an American-made gun that is otherwise like yours, and while I like it very much I think the safety in this design leaves a lot to be desired. All it does is prevent you from pulling the trigger- doesn't block either sear or firing pin, which is cocked automatically on closing and there's no decock mechanism. So it's not useful for any application where you would want to store it loaded. Given that and all the indications it's for black powder only, I'd make a wallhanger of it. It's a hell of a nice-looking gun with some character to it, so why not.
    Yea, the top latch spring is broken. I debating on whether to try and fix it.
    Dead chickens don't smile.

(Bucks County)

I hate to be Davey downer, but, I doubt it's worth fixing.

looked like Damascus steel...kicking wall hanger.