Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Carrying on Army Corps of Engineers Managed Land

Been looking into fishing up at Blue Marsh outside of Reading. So far I haven't been able to determine who actually owns the land, whether it be state, local or the feds via the Army Corps. Everything says it's "managed" by the Army Corps, since they built it. I found one reference where an island is claimed by a certain township. The boat launch I'll be using is managed by PAFGC. Anyone have any idea if carrying is allowed there or other similar places that are managed by the ACE?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Default Re: Carrying on Army Corps of Engineers Managed Land

I suppose you have never heard of the constitution, motherfu$&@r?
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Been looking into fishing up at Blue Marsh outside of Reading. So far I haven't been able to determine who actually owns the land, whether it be state, local or the feds via the Army Corps. Everything says it's "managed" by the Army Corps, since they built it. I found one reference where an island is claimed by a certain township. The boat launch I'll be using is managed by PAFGC. Anyone have any idea if carrying is allowed there or other similar places that are managed by the ACE?
    AFAIK ACE disallows firearms (with limited exceptions for hunting) on all land they manage. Here's one ongoing federal lawsuit on the subject:

Firearm lawsuit continues against Corps of Engineers; man wants weapon at McKaskey Creek Campground

On the other hand here's an article about the (somewhat gun-friendly) opinion against the ACE in Morris v. ACE, referenced in the article linked above (undoubtedly also headed for an appeal): Federal court in Idaho strikes down ban on possessing guns for self-defense on Army Corps of Engineers property
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

I'm afraid that the Corp is the owner, at least that is what my tax maps tell me.

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Portal...egulations.pdf

FIREARMS/WEAPONS/EXPLOSIVES/FIREWORKS
    The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows or other weapons is prohibited unless : In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer, or being used for hunting and fishing in remote areas, and in accordance with State Game and Fish regulations. Devices must be unloaded when transporting to, from or between hunting and fishing sites.
    Possession and /or use of fireworks or explosives of any kind is prohibited.

When I googled it, I got sent here http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/314...e-no-guns.html

(Berks County)

I have been there, and the Rangers are Army Corp. So their related nonsense applies. They also regularly have state fish and fur fuzz patrolling the area.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    I suppose you have never heard of the constitution, motherfu$&@r?
    I have apparently the ACE are a bunch of motherfuckers that haven't.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I'm afraid that the Corp is the owner, at least that is what my tax maps tell me.

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Portal...egulations.pdf

FIREARMS/WEAPONS/EXPLOSIVES/FIREWORKS
    The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows or other weapons is prohibited unless : In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer, or being used for hunting and fishing in remote areas, and in accordance with State Game and Fish regulations. Devices must be unloaded when transporting to, from or between hunting and fishing sites.
    Possession and /or use of fireworks or explosives of any kind is prohibited.

When I googled it, I got sent here http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/314...e-no-guns.html

I suppose you could make an argument that you are fishing in remote areas, although I don't know why you would need a firearm for fishing unless you intend to shoot the fish like people do with halibut.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I suppose you could make an argument that you are fishing in remote areas, although I don't know why you would need a firearm for fishing unless you intend to shoot the fish like people do with halibut.
    Still gotta load my boat onto the trailer in a remote area, and drive home.
    Last edited by streaker69; April 8th, 2015 at 05:27 PM.

(Wayne County)

Also, you could always carry a manually operated handgun, aka revolver, carry your hunting license and hunt for coyote. According to state law, it is open for hunting 24/7. Wear a "squeeker" call around your neck.

There's no law against hunting and fishing concurrently. There are laws about having hunting arms loaded while under power in a boat. I'd have to whether this applies to a canoe or kayak as they are not "under power".
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Jefferson County)

It looks like that lake is mostly owned by the Army Corp. Most of the parcels that extend into the water are Army Corp at the southern end of the lake. I didn't check much further north. But I did see a PA Game Land along side of the lake up north, and if you're fishing from shore - it is possible to stand above the high-water line to cast in.

Something to note, Army Corp regulations do allow firearms for fishing as well as hunting. But the wording says, "The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows or other weapons is prohibited unless : In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer, or being used for hunting and fishing in remote areas, and in accordance with State Game and Fish regulations. Devices must be unloaded when transporting to, from or between hunting and fishing sites."

I'm not use what fish a firearm could be "used for" in PA though..

http://gis.co.berks.pa.us/parcelviewer/
    Last edited by knight0334; April 8th, 2015 at 07:26 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast