Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: S&W 686 ... Any Reason Not To Buy One?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDonJohnson View Post
    Everyone makes a huge stick about the lock on the 686. I have a 686-6 and don't plan on carrying it so the lock is a nonissue. Other than the problem of the lock going into action on the range, which I've heard of but not often, I see no reason not to buy one other than collector value. I found mine for $500 OTD second hand and didn't blink an eye before I pulled out my credit card.

Potato pic:
    I use the term pre lock as a dating mechanism for me. I prefer the older 686's.

I plan on adding a few more to my collection in the next year or so. I had to sell the 2.5 custom shop model I had.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I use the term pre lock as a dating mechanism for me. I prefer the older 686's.

I plan on adding a few more to my collection in the next year or so. I had to sell the 2.5 custom shop model I had.
    The older ones are generally a little looser
    I saw your 2.5 in the classifieds while ago If I'm not mistaken, nice looking pistol.

(Berks County)

I have hated myself since I got rid of my 686. Bought it in mid 70s. Fantastic piece.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    As someone said I would look for a pre lock. Some of the older ones have really sweet triggers.

Now that is one SWEET collection!
    Flintlocks Rock!

I just get the feeling that all this pre-lock, pre-MIM nonsense is just people parroting what they've read in forums like this.

If you object to the lock on political grounds, then fine. If that's the case you shouldn't even be considering a S&W.

If you object to the lock because of the remote possibility of a malfunction - it takes about 15 minutes to disable the lock without changing the external appearance whatsoever.

If you object to the lock for aesthetic reasons, you can remove it altogether and there are plugs made to fill the hole.

Older guns and better triggers - ever stop to consider that the triggers may feel that way because the guns are old? Not that they made them better back then, just that it has been pulled many, many times since the gun was built. MIM triggers are more consistent in size and offer smoother contact surfaces than the forged triggers of yore. The triggers coming out of the factory today are among the best ever. I have no personal knowledge, and can't recall anyone writing about a broken MIM component on a S&W revolver - not to say it hasn't happened - but there have been defective forged components also. Anything made by man is subject to defects, the idea is to minimize the occurrence, and MIM components do just that.

Firing pin on the hammer or frame mounted - six of one, half a dozen of the other. Easier to change a frame mounted pin.

The newer guns are drilled and tapped from the factory so your sighting options are greater, plus S&W no longer makes the square tang rear sights as replacement parts.

As for the recall that was mentioned, it is still in effect and covers all 581/681, 581-1/681-1 and 586/686, 586-1/686-1 guns. Contact S&W CS and they'll send you a call tag. The recall was because these guns would sometimes lock-up, especially when using light bullet .357 Magnum ammunition (125 gr - especially Federal). The hole in the firing pin bushing in the recoil shield was large enough that sometimes you would get primer flow around the pin, into the bushing, thus locking up the gun. The cure consisted of replacing the affected parts with those appropriately sized to prevent this. Painless and unnoticeable. An "M" will be stamped on the frame under the yoke, adjacent to the serial number and/or model number.

It seems that every new generation bemoans the current production guns in favor of those made before. When I started buying Smiths in the 70's, we all thought the the guns of the 40's and 50's were superior and those being made in the 70's were dreck - now the new generation longs for the 70's guns not realizing they are passing up some of the finest S&W's made since their founding. You have to let go of the thought that anything new is not as good as those made previously and that the change was only made from a profit motivation standpoint, with no consideration to whether it cheapens the product. The changes that I have seen made in the last 20 years both enhance the product and lessen the production costs - if they still made them as they did in the 40's and 50's they wouldn't be any better and no one could afford them.

Rant over.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Last edited by Pizza Bob; April 7th, 2015 at 03:15 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

I love Smith revolvers, and I own revolvers from Smith, Ruger, and Heritage. I've got 3 different 686's and each one of them has a place, and I would not part with them.

The 3" 686+ for carry. This one is post lock.

The 4" 686 pre lock.

The 8 3/8" for hunting also pre lock.

Looking for the snub and the 6" now to round out the collection. I prefer the older pre lock models but have no issue with my post lock gun. I can typically find a good condition older gun for less $ then a new post lock gun which is why I tend to lean that way.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post

Rant over.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Good Rant. No....wait...Great Rant.

I currently own 3 Smith's with the lock. I had a pre-lock a few years ago that I sold. In the ten years that I've owned my Smith's with locks I've never had an issue with them. Wait, I've never had a lock issue with them.

I believe Pizza Bob is right. I think those who have issues with the lock will point out when that part breaks, focus on it and rant about it forever. But all gun manufacturer's have a line of guns where a part will break. Perhaps not the same part, but a part, maybe a firing pin, or a 1911 plunger, or whatever will break. I don't hear those same guys bitching up a storm about that.

Hey, I figure if the small minority of lock bitchers would buy Smiths, then the prices would go up more and I would end up paying more for a gun I like. So, I actually do like the Smith haters.

Dave

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Good Rant. No....wait...Great Rant.

I currently own 3 Smith's with the lock. I had a pre-lock a few years ago that I sold. In the ten years that I've owned my Smith's with locks I've never had an issue with them. Wait, I've never had a lock issue with them.

I believe Pizza Bob is right. I think those who have issues with the lock will point out when that part breaks, focus on it and rant about it forever. But all gun manufacturer's have a line of guns where a part will break. Perhaps not the same part, but a part, maybe a firing pin, or a 1911 plunger, or whatever will break. I don't hear those same guys bitching up a storm about that.

Hey, I figure if the small minority of lock bitchers would buy Smiths, then the prices would go up more and I would end up paying more for a gun I like. So, I actually do like the Smith haters.

Dave
    No rant on my part, just pointing out my experience with one I had. I also had many along with the ones my dad had when I was younger, all pre lock and all fantastic trouble free revolvers.

The MIM doesn't bother but that lock just doesn't belong there IMO and it will keep me from buying a new one.

I'm sure many people have no issues with it. If I do happen to buy one the lock is coming out first thing. I do want a large frame Smith and when the time comes to buy one I'll decide if I want to look for an older one or just buy a new one and ditch the lock, price and use will determine when the time comes.

(Beaver County)

Reason not to buy one? Get a auto of your choice first. 9mm .45 whatever.
    'It is Their Right, It is Their Duty, To Throw Off Such Government '

(Delaware County)

I would not let the lock get in the way of the decision to buy it.

If you want a new one... get it. The lock issues have never appeared with all of the range time with ours. The 4" is a great shooter. Balance is very good.

If ya has to, you can do away with the lock and put a stainless plug in the hole in the frame. The kit is posted on the S&W forums.

I do carry the key for the lock on my key ring but have never needed to use it in all the years of owning Smiths.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast