Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duracoat?

Default Duracoat?

I have a remington 700 ADL. .243 with a sythentic stock that I haven't fired in a few years now. It has developed a few rust spots on the barrel and I'm considering refinishing with duracoat or something along those lines. The factory is matte black, should be fairly easy to duplicate. Any body have any experience with duracoat or gun kote? Any suggestions for another brand of finish like this? Where you pleased with the results or dissatisfied?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Duracoat?

Not me personally, but I assisted.. My uncle used a Duracoat finish on a custom German Mauser rebuild. It turned out quite nice, almost too nice. (contemplated getting a Mauser also to build).

Try Norrell's Moly Resin, it is a thermal cure finish and is more durable than Duracoat. Norrell's doesn't have all the color choices or camo, but I like it better than Duracoat. With Duracoat you must let it cure for weeks in order for it to harden properly (three or four weeks). With Norrell's you spray it on with an airbrush and you bake it in your oven for 1 hour at 300. If you are going to refinish the barrel and receiver, you might have to go with Duracoat, unless you have a large enough oven. You could pay someone to do it yourself as well. I sent out my Remington 5R to have it finished in Norrells because I didn't have an oven long enough to fit the barrel receiver.

Try Norrell's Moly Resin, it is a thermal cure finish and is more durable than Duracoat. Norrell's doesn't have all the color choices or camo, but I like it better than Duracoat. With Duracoat you must let it cure for weeks in order for it to harden properly (three or four weeks). With Norrell's you spray it on with an airbrush and you bake it in your oven for 1 hour at 300. If you are going to refinish the barrel and receiver, you might have to go with Duracoat, unless you have a large enough oven. You could pay someone to do it yourself as well. I sent out my Remington 5R to have it finished in Norrells because I didn't have an oven long enough to fit the barrel receiver. Here are some pictures of Norrell's Moly Resin

Thanks for the suggestion! I do have access to an oven big enough, so I think I'll go with the moly resin you mentioned. Looks great in your pics.

When you order it...you order it by 8oz or by the quart. The 8oz bottle is enough to do 2 rifles, so don't think you need to spray tons of it on the rifle. The key is to prep the weapon. If the rifle is blued, you will want to sand blast the old finish off. DO NOT bead blast because bead blasting doesn't allow the moly to "grip" to the metal.

(Perry County)

Friends with a local pizza shop owner?

Dave G.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion! I do have access to an oven big enough, so I think I'll go with the moly resin you mentioned. Looks great in your pics.

(Bucks County)

You can bake DuraCoat to harden the finish. The difference is that if you don't bake it the finish will cure at room temperature over the period of a few weeks.

(Bucks County)

Damn that is some nice Duracoat work! WOW! Now do i have to sandblast what i want to paint first, or can i use duracoat pretty much just sprayed over the existing finish? My WASR has a few soft scratches on the reciever ill like to paint out.
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Philadelphia County)

WoW.. I love that FAL!!

How hard is it to do something like that??

Im sure my poor, lonely FAL wouldnt mind being reborn like that!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast