Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Local Gun Shop Question?

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and I am also new to buying/collecting firearms. I have spent 4 years in the Army and have hunted since I was 12 so I have a fair bit of knowledge of long guns and Army issued weapons but I've never bought my own firearm. I am also about to apply for my LTCF.

I live in Montgomery County and I was wondering what the best gun shop would be, as far selection AND customer service, for doing a complete ground up AR-15 build. Especially stripped lower selection. I want this store to have what I want so I can see/feel it and not have it ordered online.

If my thinking is off please let me know!

Thanks

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Local Gun Shop Question?

I can't help with local stores in Montgomery County as I'm not from there but if your looking to build an AR15, chances are your better off just ordering the parts online.

The only part you need to go through a dealer for is the lower reciever. Even if you can't find a local shop that sells them, you can order one online and have it shipped there for the transfer.

Check places like midwayusa.com or brownells.com and wait for the sales and you can order a part or two here and there. I waited till this past black friday and ordered most of the parts I needed to build my rifle and saved a few hundred dollars.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jgalen0025 View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum and I am also new to buying/collecting firearms. I have spent 4 years in the Army and have hunted since I was 12 so I have a fair bit of knowledge of long guns and Army issued weapons but I've never bought my own firearm. I am also about to apply for my LTCF.

I live in Montgomery County and I was wondering what the best gun shop would be, as far selection AND customer service, for doing a complete ground up AR-15 build. Especially stripped lower selection. I want this store to have what I want so I can see/feel it and not have it ordered online.

If my thinking is off please let me know!

Thanks
    Welcome and thank you for your service!!!

Many good gun shops in the area, however, building a complete ground up AR-15 is tough to go to one shop and walk out either with what you want, what you could get vs. price.

Going to a shop and picking out a lower, maybe a Lower parts kit and some tools for the build is a great idea, however, with the explosion of the internet and in more recent years the AR-15 manufacturing community you just cant get all the latest and greatest at the local gun shop down the road and highly suggest shopping around online...

you will get a better quality gun with parts you want and pieced together how you see fit, instead of making due with what the local gun shop has on the shelves...

I am all for supporting local business and def advise go get a stripped lower if the one you want is available in stores, but from exp and honesty you are going to get a much wider/better/reasonable priced selection online!!

Best of luck!

(Montgomery County)

If I were to buy a stripped lower on the web, what is the procedure for buying and picking out an FFL to transfer to?

Do I have to let them know and go through PICS before it is shipped or when it arrives?

Is there any recommendations for a shop that doesn't mind doing online transfers?

Thanks

(Bucks County)

If I were to buy a stripped lower on the web, what is the procedure for buying and picking out an FFL to transfer to?

Do I have to let them know and go through PICS before it is shipped or when it arrives?

Is there any recommendations for a shop that doesn't mind doing online transfers?

Thanks
    Most shops dont mind online transfers (personally id look for one with the lowest transfer fee)...

Process is pretty simply and depends a little on the company you are buying from...but basically you find your FFL you wish to do the transfer..ask for a copy of their FFL in advanced or if they can fax/email a copy to the company you purchased your lower from online...

Most companies allow you to purchase the lower and then will say we will not ship the lower until we recieve and FFL.

You go through PICS when it arrives...

(Montgomery County)

I keep hearing people talk over youtube about how you should expect to pay around 80 to 150 for a stripped lower but I keep seeing them online for 300. What is the difference other than machined vs forged and mil spec/not?

(Bucks County)

I keep hearing people talk over youtube about how you should expect to pay around 80 to 150 for a stripped lower but I keep seeing them online for 300. What is the difference other than machined vs forged and mil spec/not?
    Forged is going to be the cheapest route, actually polymer will be....

Billet will be more expensive as it is milled out of one soild piece of stock of billet....

If you are looking at lowers online for 300 dollars you are looking at the top of the crop in terms of lowers (def billet and def a good brand such as mega)

you should expect to pay around 60-120 for a run of the mill forged lower

(Delaware County)

If you need to hold something, check out King Shooters Supply. Google it.

(Montgomery County)

http://www.swamppike.com/

This guy claims to specialize in online orders, etc. Never used him, however. He's located in Limerick (not sure where in Montco you are).

You can get Stripped lowers from Brownells and Cheaper Than Dirt for less than $50.

(Lehigh County)

Cool Re: Local Gun Shop Question?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    If you need to hold something, check out King Shooters Supply. Google it.
    Another vote for Kings. Spend some time there and you will get a good start on where to go next. Nice folks and know a thing or two about what they sell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast