Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Breakfree CLP for Sig 1911

I have been using Breakfree CLP for the lubricant in my Sig 1911. I noticed that after 50 rounds that all of the break free that was on any surface was dried up & turned to a black, carbon dust. After cleaning & lubricating, the gun was not dripping with oil (i.e. CLP), but it also was not bone dry.

I Breakfree a good 1911 lubricant?

Default Re: Breakfree CLP for Sig 1911

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have been using Breakfree CLP for the lubricant in my Sig 1911. I noticed that after 50 rounds that all of the break free that was on any surface was dried up & turned to a black, carbon dust. After cleaning & lubricating, the gun was not dripping with oil (i.e. CLP), but it also was not bone dry.

I'd use something a little heavier, especially on the rails. Everybody has their favorite lubes, but I use a light coat of TW25B on parts that slide, like the rails, the barrel hood & bushing. Slip EWL on rotating parts.

When it comes down to it, if your gun runs on the best firearms lubricant available, then it'll probably run just as well on the second best, or even Mobil 1. The important thing with 1911's is puting lubricant in the proper places & keeping them wet.

If you're using CLP, you just may need to keep some in your range bag & reapply some extra every 100 rounds or so at the range.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Philadelphia County)

SIG typically supplies a small tube of Mil-Comm TW25b with their guns.
    I'd use this on the slide and rails.
    For the internals, get some Mil-Comm MC-2500 oil.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post

CLP is a fine luibricant, you'll find guys that swear by it and guys that swear at it. Yes there are better CLP/lubes out there but the one you have is very good.
    Even if it dries out or "burns off" it has PTFE in it which is teflon and that will still lube when it's dry. Personally I use MPRO7 and Weapon shield cause I think they stay put a little better and are slightly thicker.