Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 1911 magazine, ftf (manually) problem.

OK, I have a Colt 1911 Government Model, Series 80, Mark IV. I picked up some nice 8 round Chip McCormick magazines. Took them out to the range, and had no problems with 230 gr fmj. Glazers, no problem. With other hollow points, the first round does not feed manually(I have not test shot it). I took a closer look and saw the first round is tilting downward, and hitting flat against the internals of the pistol.

Anyone else seeing this? What was your solution? I have federal hydrashoks feeding properly, and should be happy there, but I want it all.

thx,
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(Centre County)

Default Re: 1911 magazine, ftf (manually) problem.

Unload the magazine and see how the follower is tilted when it is at the top. It should be higher in the front than the rear, typically by a good amount. If it is relatively flat, then when you start loading rounds the rounds could be forcing the follower down a bit in the front. The nose of the bullet needs to be higher that the rear even if just a very slight amount to get the nose of the bullet to feed up the ramp correctly.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Unload the magazine and see how the follower is tilted when it is at the top. It should be higher in the front than the rear, typically by a good amount. If it is relatively flat, then when you start loading rounds the rounds could be forcing the follower down a bit in the front. The nose of the bullet needs to be higher that the rear even if just a very slight amount to get the nose of the bullet to feed up the ramp correctly.
    Whcih may mean spreading the front of the feed lips if the follower and spring is running correctly.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Follow-up.

I checked all my magazines, and found only three had the problems. Blued 8rd "CHIP McCORMICK". I checked my recently purchased S/S 8rd CHIP McCORMICK's and they loaded the top round, even with wwb 230gr jhp's. When I looked closer to the 3 problem magazines, I noticed the follower had a 'shotting star', but the outside had no writing. The S/S's that worked, were heavily labeled and "CHIP McCORMICK" was clearly seen. I think I three knockoff magazines, buyer beware, I got them off ebay. I will be supporting my local gun shops for replacement ones.

BTW, if loaded with 7 rd, no problem. If loaded with a 'ball' type at the top of 8 rds, no problem. So they do work, somewhat.

So..... caveat emporium.

tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D