Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Online Hunters EDU is now available in PA.

Just a heads up you can now get your Hunters Edu certification for PA online now. There is a $20.00 fee at the end once you pass the test. It's a great alternative if you have issues finding classes locally and at convenient times.

I started it earlier today and it's pretty good. Total time to take it is around 5-7 hours so it's not much shorter then going to one of the full day classes.

My only complaint as of now is how it keeps mentioning way's to keep your hunting activities on the down low so that way there is no way upset or aggravate any anti hunters that maybe lurking around. It seems to be a reoccurring theme I just completed the 3rd section which is firearms and safety and it's been mentioned at least a half a dozen times since starting.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvani...y61BoCRM_w_wcB
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 28th, 2015 at 09:38 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Online Hunters EDU is now available in PA.

Oh great! Now we can have a bunch of kids running around the woods playing 'New York hunter' and shooting everything that moves because Uncle Jimmy took the course for them and stuck a rifle in their hands! No offense to the OP intended, I just think it's a phenomenally bad idea to let people 'phone it in' on something as important as safety training!

Putting a kid in a classroom with a regimented, respectable-looking and acting instructor, with the very real possibility of failing the course, sort of guarantees they pay attention!

(Westmoreland County)

I took it a couple of weeks ago. Lost my old card years ago and needed a replacement for a Colorado hunt this fall. My original predates when they computerized things.

Take the practice test a couple of times, if you do well, the final test is about 90% of the same questions you seen in the quizzes and practice tests. After you pay you get a printable certificate and about a week later you'll get your card in the mail.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Oh great! Now we can have a bunch of kids running around the woods playing 'New York hunter' and shooting everything that moves because Uncle Jimmy took the course for them and stuck a rifle in their hands! No offense to the OP intended, I just think it's a phenomenally bad idea to let people 'phone it in' on something as important as safety training!

Putting a kid in a classroom with a regimented, respectable-looking and acting instructor, with the very real possibility of failing the course, sort of guarantees they pay attention!
    You have to be 16 or older to take the online version. Not saying it's better than a classroom setting though.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    You have to be 16 or older to take the online version. Not saying it's better than a classroom setting though.
    It's far more convenient than a classroom setting. You can do one section at a time (there are eleven in total), or you can even do part of a section at one sitting. The program saves your location wherever you stop, so when you start up again (two days later, two hours later, two weeks later, whatever), you continue moving forward.

The only thing missing is the intra-classroom banter (i.e., "war stories") where you might learn more from real-life occurrences.

I''ve just finished Section 5, so I'm almost halfway there, on my terms. I can even take it at three in the morning if I so desire. To me, it's better than taking an entire Saturday somewhere.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I never considered that someone might need a 'refresher' to prove status (such as you needed to). For an adult just needing documentation, an adult that ALREADY has proven competency, yeah, no problem here. But, for a kid, 12-18, yes, they NEED to be in an Official Classroom Session.

Hunter Safety REALLY IS THAT IMPORTANT !

EDIT to add I just noticed the fee is paid at the end AFTER passing the course. It should be paid UP FRONT and non-refundable. That would at least encourage paying attention and not just 'clicking through'.
    Last edited by Manxdriver; March 28th, 2015 at 10:43 PM.

Well I'm not 16 years old and if my son or daughter were to take it then I would be sitting there right next to them both on the PC and in the field. PA is one of the last states to get this offered to it's residents online which tells me that we are behind the curve when it comes to hunters rights once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    It's far more convenient than a classroom setting. You can do one section at a time (there are eleven in total), or you can even do part of a section at one sitting. The program saves your location wherever you stop, so when you start up again (two days later, two hours later, two weeks later, whatever), you continue moving forward.

The only thing missing is the intra-classroom banter (i.e., "war stories") where you might learn more from real-life occurrences.

I''ve just finished Section 5, so I'm almost halfway there, on my terms. I can even take it at three in the morning if I so desire. To me, it's better than taking an entire Saturday somewhere.
    I agree but that could go either way too since you can only move as fast as your slowest student when you are in any classroom setting. I just started section 5 now but I already read it 2 weeks ago before I knew about the online offerings so it will be a quick scan for me and move onto 6. The damn timer sucks though sometimes it's set to 2 minutes before you can go on and there was 1 sentence and a picture of duck on the page. Kind of annoying at times.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post

I did mine in 6 days as you said, ay my convenience. The week point is the interaction, or lack thereof. There were a few points I would have liked to questioned an instructor about. Plus being online there is a big potential for cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I never considered that someone might need a 'refresher' to prove status (such as you needed to). For an adult just needing documentation, an adult that ALREADY has proven competency, yeah, no problem here. But, for a kid, 12-18, yes, they NEED to be in an Official Classroom Session.

Hunter Safety REALLY IS THAT IMPORTANT !

EDIT to add I just noticed the fee is paid at the end AFTER passing the course. It should be paid UP FRONT and non-refundable. That would at least encourage paying attention and not just 'clicking through'.

Assume much?

Why not take a look at it before you just spew opposition to it? You cant just click through each page there is a count down timer of at least 1 minute sometimes more before you can go onto the next. Then at the end of each section there is a small quiz you must pass before moving onto the next so it's in the users best interest to read and do the work it will get it done faster.

Hunting is in a decline across the entire US as well in PA, only 10% of the population currently hunts here and there is a reason for that. This is a convince that will get more involved I know it has for me. Until today I had my 3rd edu class booked in the last 2 years I had to cancel the previous ones because of work and family obligations. The last one I would have had to drive over an hour to take a 8 hour course on a Sunday which is typically my only full day off.
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 28th, 2015 at 10:52 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast