Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Selling some guns, but how/where?

Ok, I am having a family emergency and will be selling off most all of my modern firearms to pay some medical bills, etc. my question is where do I do this? Mom not into dealing with idiot dealers who want to offer me 40% of what my stuff is worth, but I dont need to get top dollar either. I can sell them here in this forum, but do they actually sell here or will they just sit for months on end while dealing with tire kickers.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Selling some guns, but how/where?

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    Ok, I am having a family emergency and will be selling off most all of my modern firearms to pay some medical bills, etc. my question is where do I do this? Mom not into dealing with idiot dealers who want to offer me 40% of what my stuff is worth, but I dont need to get top dollar either. I can sell them here in this forum, but do they actually sell here or will they just sit for months on end while dealing with tire kickers.
    Sorry for your problems.

Gunbroker is one option.

Your comment about idiot dealers shows that you have little understanding of the retail world. Here's how it works . . . nah, I'll let you figure it out.

(Bucks County)

I'd guess that a dealer pays 60% of what he retails a new gun. There's 40 percent. Don't forget, included in his investment is the months or years the gun will sit in the display case, money tied up, plus all the handling and personal attention accommodating tire kickers.

Since the guns are used, that takes them down another chunk....hence, the 40% of new cost offer or what could be seen as 60% under cost new. It's business. On the other hand, the dealer is in a position to take everything instantly because that is what he does. Getting the same instant movement that a dealer can offer but not having the resources is probably not going to be possible.

Sorry for your misfortune. Hope it all works out.
    Last edited by Bang; March 27th, 2015 at 11:37 AM.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    It's all a matter of price and condition, and desirability of the pieces. If they are priced realistically for the condition, they will sell if the guns are reasonably in demand. Don't expect to get what you paid, especially for lower-end guns.

The guns in the Classifieds that get bumped for weeks / months are simply overpriced or not desirable. There are multi-bumped ads for used guns in the SEPA area that are priced HIGHER than new guns can be bought in this area of NWPA.

Best of luck,

Noah

(Moved to General - Firearms Related)
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; March 27th, 2015 at 11:36 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Washington County)

Facebook groups. I started using FB for selling over a year ago and I've had good deals, fast sells, and good money.

Think about it. My local FB gun swap group has 2000 members and for most of them I'm sending a message directly to their phone via the group. It's a marketing dream.

Just follow the law and your morale compass.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

You'll probably get a better price selling them yourself. A sale to a dealer involves a profit for the business. His profit = your loss.

List the items on as many outlets as you can manage. Listing a sale means you have to have the time to respond to questions, meet potential sellers, provide photos, etc... This can be time consuming.

If you want to unload everything quickly go to a gun shop and sell as a collection, pocket some money for expenses, and don't look back. It's quick and easy assuming you have marketable stuff.

Do not expect to get more from a buyer just because you "customized" a firearm with aftermarket grips and a light. Accessories add some value but usually not much.

If you have large quantities of ammo or accessories, consider selling in smaller lots. Some guys want to get $1,000 for a Glock with 10 mags and 4 cases of ammo. If I'm going to drop $1K on a pistol it's going to be a higher end weapon. What it won't be is a $400 used Glock with $600 in ammo.

Be patient. This is a buyers market. The advantage is in the favor of the buyer right now.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The guns in the Classifieds that get bumped for weeks / months are simply overpriced or not desirable. There are multi-bumped ads for used guns in the SEPA area that are priced HIGHER than new guns can be bought in this area of NWPA.
    Or their ad looks like this:

"I have gun. Want sell. Make offer. No pics."

Uh yeah...no one is going to waste their time on that.

(Chester County)

Sales could also be done through monthly gun auctions at Horst Auction ,
    50 Durlach Rd, Ephrata, PA 17522
    Phone : (717) 738-3080
    E-mail : sale@horstauction.com
    Fax : (717) 738-2132

About 40 miles northeast of you. Don't know if they allow for reserve pricing.

Here is the result of last month's auction.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Here is a start. I have had good success with Gunbroker.

(Carbon County)

List them on here with pictures and price them within reason. You will never know unless you list them. If you are having issues with medical bills apply to your local Welfare office for Access medicaid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast