Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default mossberg 590 problem

For some reason my 590 wasnt cycling the whole way back after I took the barrel off. After watching a Youtube video, I field stripped it and the ejector and ejector screw were just laying inside the receiver. The ejector itself was broken in half. Does this type of thing happen often? Will my local shops have an ejector?

The gun is a mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights. I just got it Tuesday and it was used.

Default Re: mossberg 590 problem

Quote Originally Posted by wbhess192 View Post
    For some reason my 590 wasnt cycling the whole way back after I took the barrel off. After watching a Youtube video, I field stripped it and the ejector and ejector screw were just laying inside the receiver. The ejector itself was broken in half. Does this type of thing happen often? Will my local shops have an ejector?

The gun is a mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights. I just got it Tuesday and it was used.
    I would call Mossberg and tell them what happened and see if they will send out a replacement part free of charge. The 590's are pretty damn solid and run really well while nothing is 100% 100% of the time they are pretty darn close.

(Jefferson County)

Ejectors have been know to break in Mossbergs, and every other shotgun. Just consider yourself lucky that you didn't have a Rem 870 that broke its ejector. ...Mossbergs are easily replaced.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

I see them on ebay for as little as 8 bucks for a mossberg 500. Do 500/590/88's use the same internals. For some reason I think ebay would be quicker to ship out than mossberg. What could cause this to break? I havent even fired a single round through it. I pumped it a couple times when I bought it to make sure it cycled smooth.

*Thanks for the quick replies fellas.

I know some parts between the 500 and 590's are interchangeable unfortunately I do not know if the ejector is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I know some parts between the 500 and 590's are interchangeable unfortunately I do not know if the ejector is one of them.
    The ejector is one of them. 500/590/88 same guts in the receiver.
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

Quote Originally Posted by win67 View Post
    The ejector is one of them. 500/590/88 same guts in the receiver.
    Good to know thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Ejectors have been know to break in Mossbergs, and every other shotgun. Just consider yourself lucky that you didn't have a Rem 870 that broke its ejector. ...Mossbergs are easily replaced.
    The 870 isn't anything a drill, staking tool, rivets and a re-blue can't fix...LOL.

Jules

(Lancaster County)

Thanks win67. Im going to give a few of my local shops a call to see if they have them. If not, I'll be getting one for a 500 on eBay.

Next question:
    This gun was rattle canned in a black and green camo when I bought it. It was flaking and scratched all over. I spent about an hour with paint stripper and carb cleaner to get it off. Underneath the camo paint, the receiver, barrel, and mag tube were all scratched and dinged up. Now that I have it stripped, should I have it cerakoted? I got the gun for super cheap but I want it to have a much cleaner look.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by wbhess192 View Post
    Thanks win67. Im going to give a few of my local shops a call to see if they have them. If not, I'll be getting one for a 500 on eBay.

Next question:
    This gun was rattle canned in a black and green camo when I bought it. It was flaking and scratched all over. I spent about an hour with paint stripper and carb cleaner to get it off. Underneath the camo paint, the receiver, barrel, and mag tube were all scratched and dinged up. Now that I have it stripped, should I have it cerakoted? I got the gun for super cheap but I want it to have a much cleaner look.
    Cerakote is a great option.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast