Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Any experience with Briley Chokes?

I've got a CZ912. Absolutely wonderful shotgun for the $$$. I picked it up from a forum member about a year ago and have shot a few trap/skeet matches with it.

It's nothing fancy but cycles well and shoots consistently. I'm looking, however, to upgrade from factory chokes.

Does anyone have any experience with Briley?

http://www.briley.com/czusaspectrumportedchoke.aspx

Also, is it worth getting a $100 choke on a $350 shotgun? Should I save and just get a Beretta A400 or Franchi? I'm partially to semi's.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Any experience with Briley Chokes?

Ha, I'm in same boat. Just got a CZ912, off the forum, and love it. I've always had an itch for a autoloader and finally scratched it. I've been shooting the gun every other weekend and all the old trap guys at the club are recommending an extended choke tube. Most guys I've met say Briley.

Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to pattern the gun with the weather. I've been shooting trap with the factory IM choke (7.5-8 shot) and doing alright. My plan now, as the weather warms up, is to play around with the tubes and shot combinations and try to figure out what works best. Then I'll get a little more serious about aftermarket chokes.

(Chester County)

That's funny! I used the #3 choke, I think it's the modified. Where do you shoot? I do every other weekend at Oxford Gun Club.

(Washington County)

I'm still pretty green to skeet shooting but I really like my Briley chokes. Here's the ones I purchased for my Beretta 686.

http://www.briley.com/BerettaHPSpectrumPortedChoke.aspx
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    That's funny! I used the #3 choke, I think it's the modified. Where do you shoot? I do every other weekend at Oxford Gun Club.
    I've been shooting at Langhorne Rod and Gun (SEPA).

But back to an issue brought up in the original post, I'm too am a little concerned about dropping a bunch of coin on an aftermarket choke(s) for that gun. I don't see a good ROI on it unless you plan on keeping the gun forever. I mean, I don't think it will add much if any value to the gun were you to sell it.

(Mercer County)

Ever look at Trulock? I have used their product, and the quality and service is very good, good prices too. Here is what they list for CZ USA

http://www.trulockchokes.com/get-cho...kes=See+Chokes

Used chokes on ebay seem a viable option too. Good luck.

(Lancaster County)

Briley chokes are as good as it gets. I would, however, stay with standard tubes versus the ported variety.

(Chester County)

Why not the ported type?

(Lawrence County)

Here's the thing about choke tubes. You can't buy perfection in most cases. You need to pattern.....and pattern.....and pattern. You can have a cheap tube pattern well and an expensive tube pattern poorly in your gun.....and then this may change depending on the load! In other words switching from Winchester loads to Federal may produce different results.

The real advantage to a lot of choke is the extension. Switching without a tool is very helpful.

For Skeet find a decent skeet or open tube and look for consistent patterns. You also have to ask yourself whether you like to hit the clay early or late.

That being said it's more likely to pay for stock fitting to improve your shooting that it is to pay for choke tubes.

Lycanskiptothelastlinethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.