Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default turned a nice range day into a big bore open carry day

invested quite a few dollars in my shooting skills yesterday out at the farm and decided to celebrate by open carrying my ruger alaskan in .454 for the rest of the evening.

dinner at the texas roadhouse and some mindless wandering in walmart and no one even called the cops or tackled me. i must have been doing it wrong.

in other news, i did not see any grizzly at either location, which was a bummer because i had 6 bear loads cylindered.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Juniata County)

Default Re: turned a nice range day into a big bore open carry day

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    invested quite a few dollars in my shooting skills yesterday out at the farm and decided to celebrate by open carrying my ruger alaskan in .454 for the rest of the evening.

dinner at the texas roadhouse and some mindless wandering in walmart and no one even called the cops or tackled me. i must have been doing it wrong.

in other news, i did not see any grizzly at either location, which was a bummer because i had 6 bear loads cylindered.
    LOL
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Westmoreland County)

The muzzle blast and concussion from that thing can cause damage. It'll definitely have them driving under the tables.

How's the ammunition selection for the .454 and the pricing as compared to 44mag? I really love the look of the Alaskan but not sure about the .454 caliber.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    How's the ammunition selection for the .454 and the pricing as compared to 44mag? I really love the look of the Alaskan but not sure about the .454 caliber.
    It's one of those cartridges you almost have to reload for if you plan on shooting it a lot. Unless you have deep pockets.

(Lehigh County)

Talking Re: turned a nice range day into a big bore open carry day

The bear was busy doing laundry!

(Chester County)

Obviously, the proud parent in you took your .454 to the wrong place.

You should have skipped the farm and gone to the zoo instead where instead of grizzlies, you would have been swarmed by ferals - NE Philly comes to mind - where I can with some degree of confidence you would have been either tackled by police or attacked by feral unemployed residents who have nothing to do except lounge around on street corners, alleys, etc. since SPRING is in the air.

What I always wondered is if a .454 can fire .454's (and I have fired a borrowed pistol in that caliber - the recoil had a stout "bashy" effect on me), why does some marketing material even attempt to assure you that you can always down-load to mitigate recoil and fire .45 Colts instead?

The thing about it that vexes me is that .454 - your honkin' big gun has the rifling for that sizing (.454). A .45 Colt is sized .452 - and would on the surface of things appear to be too small a diameter to obdurate.

Just sayin...

Sort of like attempting to shoot a 9mm (sized .356) out of a 38 spl (sized .358). What am I missing?

And if rifling is important (the McCoy's say it is, the Clanton's say it isn't depending on the distance), so until this family feud gets resolved, I'd just stick with .454's and load a sh!t-ton of it.

No offence intended to NE Philly residents or to rednecks who may be related to the Clanton's or the McCoy's....
    - bamboomaster

(Clearfield County)

Well duh, that means it's working.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    The muzzle blast and concussion from that thing can cause damage. It'll definitely have them driving under the tables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I was shooting hsm bear loads that I got on sale for $55/50 at cabelas. The average going rate I have seen is ~1.25/rd, unless you are shooting 45lc out of it (they feel like 9mm out of this beast). I am looking forward to some underwood.

I have to be honest, there was next to no fireball from those rounds and I was a bit disappointed (especially because my brother in law was filming). However, after my third shot on target the 2x4 that the target was mounted on literally split down the middle and the pallet 20yds behind it that we normally shoot at fell over.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Monroe County)

We know why it is-
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast