Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Technology Upgrades Progress

Looks like a good plan. I think I'll support again.
    Looking forward to a YouTube button.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Could you point me to an example where this is happening? Nothing I've been doing should cause a problem like that, but stranger things have happened and it's worth a look.
    I have the issue using Opera 12.16 in Linux, in the 'what did you buy yourself today' thread as an example, but it seems to work okay in Firefox 36.0.1. If nobody else is having an issue it might be the browser, Opera has a habit of spitting up on certain sites but I like it for the password manager. I can always switch browsers if it continues. I don't think anybody bothers to check their sites for Opera compatibility.

Sorry for any distress this may have caused, I know you're busy.
    My goal in Life is to become the kind of problem that people throw money at.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by harp28 View Post
    I have the issue using Opera 12.16 in Linux, in the 'what did you buy yourself today' thread as an example, but it seems to work okay in Firefox 36.0.1. If nobody else is having an issue it might be the browser, Opera has a habit of spitting up on certain sites but I like it for the password manager. I can always switch browsers if it continues. I don't think anybody bothers to check their sites for Opera compatibility.

Sorry for any distress this may have caused, I know you're busy.
    Ack, sorry to hear that, hopefully when we upgrade the forum software (vBulletin) they will have improved their browser support. Otherwise once we get a proper ticketing system up and running we'll file it as a ticket. TBH Opera on Linux isn't a super high priority in the browser support matrix, but who knows, might be an easy fix in the future.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

As of now, all non-forum sites have been moved from the old infrastructure (load balanced EC2 instances) to the new infrastructure (S3 website hosting.)

No more servers to maintain for non-forum websites! This should guarantee pretty insane uptime for these sites as AWS S3 pretty much never goes down.

This comes with a few minor changes:

1. The PAFOA Reference Library (reference.pafoa.org) has been retired. All of it's old URLs redirect to appropriate replacements on official websites. This was a difficult site to keep up to date anyway, so we are better off without it.
    2. The PAFOA Search Engine (search.pafoa.org) has also been retired and now redirects directly to the Google Custom Search Engine(s) that powered it behind the scenes. You should see the same results as before, just no longer with PAFOA branding.
    3. The PAFOA Blog (blog.pafoa.org) has been merged into the main website (www.pafoa.org/blog) and retired. All content was moved and proper redirects were set up to preserve old URLs.

I'll note, we are fully aware that the PAFOA search is not all that great, and once we get past the infrastructure-transfer part of the process and into the software upgrades process we will be looking into our options for a better, more comprehensive search solution. Thanks for your continued patience!
    Last edited by danp; March 23rd, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Looks like a good plan. I think I'll support again.
    Looking forward to a YouTube button.

Justin
    Hey Justin, what do you mean by a YouTube button?

Once we get past the initial upgrade progress we're going to try to implement a system that will allow us to properly keep track of, triage, prioritize, and implement new features and enhancements.

(Allegheny County)

Hey Justin, what do you mean by a YouTube button?

Once we get past the initial upgrade progress we're going to try to implement a system that will allow us to properly keep track of, triage, prioritize, and implement new features and enhancements.

Not to speak for Justin, but I would assume some sort of button like the "IMG" button for photos.

I'd love to be able to just click a button and paste something to add a YouTube video into a post.
    I know it can be done "manually" by typing "stuff", but I can never remember how you do it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Not to speak for Justin, but I would assume some sort of button like the "IMG" button for photos.

I'd love to be able to just click a button and paste something to add a YouTube video into a post.
    I know it can be done "manually" by typing "stuff", but I can never remember how you do it.
    I see. The code is

Code:
    {youtube}<youtube video ID>{/youtube}
    For example:

Code:
    {youtube}wGMLrqTDaiA{/youtube}
    (Replace the {} with [] instead)

I am not sure if/how we can make it so it's a button, but it may be possible.

(Dauphin County)

I am not sure if/how we can make it so it's a button, but it may be possible.
    It's possible in some other forum software, e.g. myBB. I have no idea whether it's supported in the version of vBulletin you'll be using.

(I'm not suggesting you change platforms, I realize that's impractical. Just clarifying.)

Attached Images Attached Images
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

[*]The PAFOA Search Engine (search.pafoa.org) has also been retired and now redirects directly to the Google Custom Search Engine(s) that powered it behind the scenes. You should see the same results as before, just no longer with PAFOA branding.
    This search: http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php
    has always worked well for me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    This search: http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php
    has always worked well for me.

Yeah. As soon as I read Dan's post I ran to make sure that was still working. LOL!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast