Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Greetings

(Lancaster County)

Default Greetings

Hello All,

I made a brief introduction in the If you've signed up, say hi here.
    (... still learning about how code works on this particular website, it's a little different than what I've encountered in the past. Does anyone know how to make this thread show up without double typing the thread name?)

So I figured I'd post a more detailed introduction here.

I've been lurking here for a while, but I figured it's time to come out from the shadows. I've started to visit this forum, more or less, on a daily basis so it's about time.

As the thread suggests, I currently live in Lancaster. I'm currently in college, studying mechanical engineering up at Penn State and am also in Army ROTC. I'm hoping to be able work in the firearms industry after I graduate.

I haven't really been into shooting for long. Only started to pick up a passion for firearms and the 2A relatively recently; through Tim's (Military Arms Channel) videos about the AWB 2013. My current, and probably life long, firearms interests lie within the AR-15, but with a flare towards military historic guns (ie: M1 Garand, M1A1 Thompson, Mosin, Kar98, etc).

And speaking of which, that's how I derived my screen name. From my love and affection for the M1A1 Thompson. Unfortunately, I doubt I'd be able to get my hands on an NFA version anytime soon ... so the Auto Ordnance replica will have to do for now ...

I do have a couple questions though.

This forum is soooo massive, and I just don't have the time to sift through every sub-forum. Is there any you guys would recommend visiting on a daily basis --- looking at 5 or so sub-forums.

Also - Lancaster related question. Are there any other public ranges besides Trop or the one's run by the Game Commission? As much as I like Trop, I can't afford to keep shelling out $12.49/half an hour (yes the rates went up $2.49); nor can I afford to keep dragging myself all the way to York for the Game Commission range either. Is there any other ones that I somehow missed?

Club membership ranges are out of the option because 1.) some are really expensive (ie: New Holland), and 2.)I'm just not able to make monthly meetings since I'm in college (and would be a waste of membership since I wont be able to shoot for that very same reason).

Thanks in advance all!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Hello All,

I made a brief introduction in the If you've signed up, say hi here.
    (... still learning about how code works on this particular website, it's a little different than what I've encountered in the past. Does anyone know how to make this thread show up without double typing the thread name?)

So I figured I'd post a more detailed introduction here.

I've been lurking here for a while, but I figured it's time to come out from the shadows. I've started to visit this forum, more or less, on a daily basis so it's about time.

As the thread suggests, I currently live in Lancaster. I'm currently in college, studying mechanical engineering up at Penn State and am also in Army ROTC. I'm hoping to be able work in the firearms industry after I graduate.

I haven't really been into shooting for long. Only started to pick up a passion for firearms and the 2A relatively recently; through Tim's (Military Arms Channel) videos about the AWB 2013. My current, and probably life long, firearms interests lie within the AR-15, but with a flare towards military historic guns (ie: M1 Garand, M1A1 Thompson, Mosin, Kar98, etc).

And speaking of which, that's how I derived my screen name. From my love and affection for the M1A1 Thompson. Unfortunately, I doubt I'd be able to get my hands on an NFA version anytime soon ... so the Auto Ordnance replica will have to do for now ...

I do have a couple questions though.

This forum is soooo massive, and I just don't have the time to sift through every sub-forum. Is there any you guys would recommend visiting on a daily basis --- looking at 5 or so sub-forums.

Also - Lancaster related question. Are there any other public ranges besides Trop or the one's run by the Game Commission? As much as I like Trop, I can't afford to keep shelling out $12.49/half an hour (yes the rates went up $2.49); nor can I afford to keep dragging myself all the way to York for the Game Commission range either. Is there any other ones that I somehow missed?

Club membership ranges are out of the option because 1.) some are really expensive (ie: New Holland), and 2.)I'm just not able to make monthly meetings since I'm in college (and would be a waste of membership since I wont be able to shoot for that very same reason).

Thanks in advance all!
    Welcome,

I use the New Posts feature at the top of the forum page in the in the first blue bar to check in on what's being discussed. It will bring up a list of threads that have new posts in them since your last visit. If I'm looking for threads that I have posts in then I go to my user CP (also in that same blue bar) and you can see all of the threads that you are subscribrd to. Seems to work the best for me. If you're searching to see if something I want to know has been discussed before you can try the search feature here, but it doesn't always work out that well. Personally I would just use google to search and include PAFOA in the search. It seems to give more reliable results that way.

I'm not familiar with the lancaster area so I can't really help you out there. Lots of members here from Lancaster, York area though so I'm sure you'll get some help finding a range. If you want to shoot while in the state collage area ten you're not far from the Scotia range which I hear is very nice. I know there are some others in that area as well so maybe some locals from there can help out as well.

Finally I'm planning a group shoot around the Williamsport area in the future and if you are interested in trying out some of the guns on your list of one that intrest you then that might be a good place to go. Usually people bring lots of different things to these type of events. I'll probably break out some of my Milsurp stuff for the day and I'm sure others will as well. Here's the current thread on the shoot:http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/278...hoot-meet.html
    There will be a new thread with a sign up as this progresses. Feel free to come and join in.

(Lancaster County)

welcome.

I'm in Lancaster also. I shoot at the Hempfield Sportsmans Assoc. The club is located just south of the PA Turnpike in Lebanon County and bordering State Game Lands # 145, the Property and Ranges are at the end of Sportsmans Lane (accessed at 600 Church Road, Manheim, PA. in northern Lancaster County).

Yearly dues are $35. That gets you the combination to the lock on the gate. I generally have the place to myself when I am there.

http://www.hempfieldsportsmen.com/

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Finally I'm planning a group shoot around the Williamsport area in the future and if you are interested in trying out some of the guns on your list of one that intrest you then that might be a good place to go. Usually people bring lots of different things to these type of events. I'll probably break out some of my Milsurp stuff for the day and I'm sure others will as well. Here's the current thread on the shoot:http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/278...hoot-meet.html
    There will be a new thread with a sign up as this progresses. Feel free to come and join in.
    Thanks for the offer Suehr! I'd love to come with everyone then, provided I'm free! Looking forward to it. Unfortunately I don't have much to offer. I've got an AR-15; but that's it. Could bring up some food or something along those lines though.

And yep - I frequent the Scotia range up at Penn State. Pretty decent range, better than the one at York.
    Last edited by Thompson; March 12th, 2015 at 03:27 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Hi heather,

Yes - I've looked at HSA before. Just curious, what is the range distance? I didn't see anywhere on the website that actually lists that value.

Also, are club meetings mandatory? I didn't specifically see this stated on the website either. If they are, unfortunately I wont be able to join since 3/4 of the year I'm up at Penn State.

(Side note: what typically goes on at meetings? I've always wondered this).

Thanks!

(Lancaster County)

Thanks!
    Same thing that goes on at any other gun club meeting, paddling, lots of paddling.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Same thing that goes on at any other gun club meeting, paddling, lots of paddling.
    Sorry, what does that mean? My guess is a whole lot of pointlessness?

(Berks County)

Sorry, what does that mean? My guess is a whole lot of pointlessness?
    Old kinky Amish dude, watches animals "do it" too much. Good cook, nice guy but always looking to sell his hand made wooden "napkin rings"

(Lancaster County)

Hi heather,

Yes - I've looked at HSA before. Just curious, what is the range distance? I didn't see anywhere on the website that actually lists that value.

Also, are club meetings mandatory? I didn't specifically see this stated on the website either. If they are, unfortunately I wont be able to join since 3/4 of the year I'm up at Penn State.

Thanks!
    they have 25,50, 100 and 200 yard ranges, a claybird range and archery.

meetings are not mandatory.
    Coincidentally there is one tonight.
    Meetings are currently held on the second (2nd) Thursday of January, March, May, September, October & November at *Chiques United Methodist Church** (1215 E. Main Street; Mount Joy, PA.) beginning at 7:15 PM.
    * Church is located on the north side of PA Route 230 across from NCR, TE Connections and (directly across from) Mount Joy Dental Associates.

not much goes on at meetings. Just discuss what upkeep may need to be done, etc.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Old kinky Amish dude, watches animals "do it" too much. Good cook, nice guy but always looking to sell his hand made wooden "napkin rings"
    LOL I see

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    they have 25,50, 100 and 200 yard ranges, a claybird range and archery.

meetings are not mandatory.
    Coincidentally there is one tonight.
    Meetings are currently held on the second (2nd) Thursday of January, March, May, September, October & November at *Chiques United Methodist Church** (1215 E. Main Street; Mount Joy, PA.) beginning at 7:15 PM.
    * Church is located on the north side of PA Route 230 across from NCR, TE Connections and (directly across from) Mount Joy Dental Associates.

not much goes on at meetings. Just discuss what upkeep may need to be done, etc.
    This may be the first club I've seen that doesn't require mandatory meetings of its members. Yep I saw that; unfortunately I wont be able to come out to the meeting.