Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Glock 17 alternative

Hey all. I have owned a Glock model 17 for several years and love it to death. My only complaint about it (and on Glocks in general) is the lack of a manual safety. I am now looking for a CCW gun and the model 17 is just too large to carry for my small frame, plus I don't feel comfortable keeping one in the chamber without a manual safety.

Overall I'm really happy with 9mm for its shootability, relatively low cost, and widespread availability, but I'm not opposed to switching caliber for the right CCW weapon.

What other concealable guns should I look into? Thanks much, friends. Stay safe.
    "If you want to imagine the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever." -George Orwell

(Chester County)

Default Re: Glock 17 alternative

Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Clate View Post
    What other concealable guns should I look into?
    imho, a glock 19 or 26 with a manual safety added.

here are a couple of available manual safeties for glocks. i dunno which, if any, are any good as i have never personally had the desired to add one to my glocks, but a little research should shed some light on which are good.

http://www.tarnhelm.com/GlockSafety.html

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...il.aspx?p=5532

http://www.cominolli.com/

i imagine some people will chime in to suggest an XD, but, in my experience, XDs and glocks are nothing alike. the grip angle is totally different. if you are used to shooting a glock, you may have trouble with transitioning to an XD for self-defense.

this is not to say XDs are not good guns. it's just been my personal experience that shooting an XD after shooting glocks all the time is a bit problematic in that your wrists naturally point the gun according to the grip angle of the glock, rather than the XD, and, so, you end up naturally pointing the XD way below what you are trying to shoot.

i have this same experience when shooting other people's 1911s (as the grip angle is similar to the XDs).

glocks seem to have a unique grip angle. if you are used to it, carrying some other gun without retraining yourself might be problematic. (on the range, it's no big deal to just take an extra second to change your wrist angle and bring the sights on target, but under stress in a self-defense situation, i think you would prolly end up shooting very low.)

just my personal experience.

(Mercer County)

My recomendations would be a Taurus 24/7 ($385), Walther pps ($665), Bersa ultra carry ($375). Those are what i sell the most of in the store when somebody wants a carry gun. Or you can always go with a para or kimber in a 1911 frame 9mm if you feel like spending $800 to $1100. Springfield makes an XD with a manual saftey. Their carry guns are very good guns but are extremely bulky and top heavy. You can also look at a Bersa thunder 380acp. We sell about 4 a week in the store and every one who has bought one loves it. Dont let the small caliber scare ya. you can get magsafe or glaser ammo for it and it will have the stopping power of a 40 or 45.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

I'd actually recommend a SigPro 2340 / 2022 in .40S&W- a good friend of mine has one that he let me borrow for a couple of weeks to carry- sweetest little platform for CC I've ever seen. I'm more accurate with it than with my Glock 17 (which is saying something), it's smaller, conceals well, and is nice and safe (decocker rather than safety, but it works out just as well- you're not going to accidentally pull a 10 pound DA trigger when it's in the holster)

They're a little pricey (579 on gunbroker, which means around 450 in the real world), but worth every penny. They make them in 9mm as well, but I've not shot one, so I can't comment on how good it is- but the .40 is amazing.
    VMJade
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Wow, I had no idea you could add a manual safety to a Glock.

As for learning how a new gun behaves I have no problem with that. I plan to do my time at the range with whatever I get anyway. I really like the Walther PPK, but I've heard some "iffy" things about the modern versions that are available new.

Thanks for the info. Any other ideas?
    "If you want to imagine the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever." -George Orwell

(Allegheny County)

i've added the comminoli safety to a couple of glocks and currently have a g22 with the kit installed. I also have the jig and cutting tool that comes with the whole kit and will lend it or even do the cut if somebody wants.

Mine has been 100% reliable and works like a charm.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Berks County)

I would say try the Glock 26 and put the safety on it if you want one. Then you will have a pistol you are familiar with already and can use your larger 17 mags in it as well if you need to.

(Erie County)

That sounds like the best idea if you already love your Glock.
    H&K USP .40
    XD Subcompact .40
    Ruger LCP

(Allegheny County)

I don't understand the need for a manual safety.

If it's being carried properly,(in a holster designed for it, and not shoved in a waistband)what is the risk of the trigger being depressed?

Understand that I'm no Glock "fanboy", and I've never really liked the idea of the "trigger safety", but really, if the trigger is covered, it's not an issue.(At least not to me)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast