Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default new to the 1911!

got my very first 1911 a few days ago and shot it the day after i purchased it from staudts ( fantastic place, the SGM is a fantastic guy!) My question is, can anyone suggest a really good cleaning kit for either the 1911 itself or the .45acp? i looked at gander mountain and found just a single bore snake which i bought and used today and it worked fine but id rather have brushes and the like, ideas anybody? oh and what would be a good recommended magazine as long as its under 40 bucks a piece i can live with the price. thanks from the 1911 noob

(Berks County)

Default Re: new to the 1911!

Any kit will do. Good bronze brushes and one nylon brush. Bronze patch puller. I like gunslick brand bronze cleaning brushes ans jags. A great deal on magazines is sarco. I bought 20 of them and they are pretty good at a great price. Wilson combat, shooting star are great and metal form is my go to with lots of choices in followers. Some guns prefer plastic some round top metal and some flat top so I can not say what your gun will like best. What make did you get?

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: new to the 1911!

Quote Originally Posted by Williams_556 View Post
    got my very first 1911 a few days ago and shot it the day after i purchased it from staudts ( fantastic place, the SGM is a fantastic guy!) My question is, can anyone suggest a really good cleaning kit for either the 1911 itself or the .45acp? i looked at gander mountain and found just a single bore snake which i bought and used today and it worked fine but id rather have brushes and the like, ideas anybody? oh and what would be a good recommended magazine as long as its under 40 bucks a piece i can live with the price. thanks from the 1911 noob
    Playboy used to be a pretty good magazine, but the internet ruine.....wait, you're talking about the 'clip thingy' that holds the bullets, aren't you?

As far as magazines go, lots of factory GI magazines worked really well for a long time in really shitty environments, so GI mags, or anything better than GI will work great. I'll be honest, I've NEVER had a bad mag for a 1911. They might be out there, but I have never encountered one.

(Lycoming County)

Any basic cleaning kit should work for a 1911. Look at wally world if you want something cheap. I've been using the same one for 20 years or so. I've had to replace a few things as they wore out. As far as mags I personally use mostly chip McCormick mags. They're priced reasonably and function well.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 1911!!

As for magazines... I must recommend the Chip McCormick power mag.

Some required reading regarding 1911 magazines... http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-magazines/

And everything else 1911 Hilton Yam wrote....

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911/