Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Carry in Children's Hospital of Phila?

This morning I had to take my fiance to the ER at CHOP, she's a previous long term patient here so her doctor told her to visit the chop er to be taken care of.
    I've looked online and can't find anything, so here I am. Is concealed carry legal in CHOP? I erred on the side of caution and left my firearm at home. I know carry in hospitals is legal, but I'm unsure about CHOP because online I read that chop is part of upenn campus and as far as I know, the "other lawful purpose" hasn't been defined yet.

So in short, is carry in Children's Hospital of Philadelphia legal?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carry in Children's Hospital of Phila?

I too saw no signs, CC'd with no issue.

AFAIK, the school carry law only talks about K-12. Universities ban under school rules, not force of law.
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; March 9th, 2015 at 02:13 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    I too saw no signs, CC'd with no issue.
    Yeah I didn't see signs either, I was just concerned with it being part of UPenn campus from what I read online

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    Yeah I didn't see signs either, I was just concerned with it being part of UPenn campus from what I read online
    No problems with it being a part of a university. As bluetrane had said, the laws that you are referencing are pertaining to k-12 schools and not post-secondary schools.

As FWIW, some hospitals are only associated with universities (or visa versa) in name only and not via collaboration.
    Male RN

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    No problems with it being a part of a university. As bluetrane had said, the laws that you are referencing are pertaining to k-12 schools and not post-secondary schools.

As FWIW, some hospitals are only associated with universities (or visa versa) in name only and not via collaboration.
    Thanks hacimsaalk, I did read the wording saying "primary and secondary schools" but wasn't sure what it meant. Didn't want to risk it. Thank you very much!

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    This morning I had to take my fiance to the ER at CHOP, she's a previous long term patient here so her doctor told her to visit the chop er to be taken care of.
    I've looked online and can't find anything, so here I am. Is concealed carry legal in CHOP? I erred on the side of caution and left my firearm at home. I know carry in hospitals is legal, but I'm unsure about CHOP because online I read that chop is part of upenn campus and as far as I know, the "other lawful purpose" hasn't been defined yet.

So in short, is carry in Children's Hospital of Philadelphia legal?
    A friend of mine's daughter was seen there. He regularly OCs, so them not noticing was unlikely. HE reported that they secured his firearm in a manor similar to the courthouse process (receipt, locked and so on), but that it was a non-issue. He also noted their security it armed, which is unlike the hospitals in my region so he felt they were taking the safety of his daughter more seriously and not simply providing lip service.

As to being legal: Yes, it is not a prohibited location as other people have stated. The hospital may (or may not) have a policy against it. If you normally conceal I would not concern myself with it, nor would I look for obscure things on websites or non-clearly marked doors.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    A friend of mine's daughter was seen there. He regularly OCs, so them not noticing was unlikely. HE reported that they secured his firearm in a manor similar to the courthouse process (receipt, locked and so on), but that it was a non-issue. He also noted their security it armed, which is unlike the hospitals in my region so he felt they were taking the safety of his daughter more seriously and not simply providing lip service.

As to being legal: Yes, it is not a prohibited location as other people have stated. The hospital may (or may not) have a policy against it. If you normally conceal I would not concern myself with it, nor would I look for obscure things on websites or non-clearly marked doors.
    I agree. I know of no legal requirement that a person research the gun policy of any institution. If an institution does not allow guns on its property it is its responsibility to post that information in a place where the notice can be readily seen. Of course if they do not thy can still ask you to leave the premises if they see you are carrying.

(Delaware County)

FWIW, CHOP is not part of the U of P or HUP. It is a separate entity.

The hospital buildings are crammed up against each other and there may be an emergency bridge between HUP and CHOP and they have a working relationship but that's it.

(Tioga County)

I CC'd in CHOP in December 2012 when my son was in for surgery and had to stay a few nights. I wasn't concerned about policy - family comes first.
    MikeP

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    I CC'd in CHOP in December 2012 when my son was in for surgery and had to stay a few nights. I wasn't concerned about policy - family comes first.

Thanks again everyone. I wasn't really concerned about the actual policy of the hospital, rather unsure about it being legal because of me not fully understanding the law that prohibits carry on school grounds (primary and secondary) and me reading something that mentioned CHOP being part of UPenn campus. Now I have a better understanding of the law and know I can carry there if it ever comes up again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast