Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Considering my first bow

I work on my own bow all the time. I bought a Bowmaster pocket press for $50. I changed my string, installed a peep, string loop. Set up a new drop away rest and new sights instead of dropping $800 on a new bow. This stuff is relatively easy to do. Everything is on Youtube. I think a lot of people think these kind of things are too complicated and have to be done by a professional. I always like to fix things on my own if something breaks during the season I like to be able to take care of it instead of waiting for a shop to get time.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I've been looking (online only) at some package deals. PSE and Diamond the PSe was the Stinger and Surge the Diamond was Infinity Edge. They seem good for me as a beginner and they are under $600. Obviously the arrows need to be sized and the bow would be adjusted to fit me so I assumed $100 for this. But for $700 or less I'm hunting with it...or am I missing something?
    I am also assuming the extras in the packages are similar to the package rifles from Savage where the sights and rests are crap...
    Last edited by *Klutch*; March 6th, 2015 at 12:02 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

I don't know if the accessories are necessarily crap, but they almost definitely won't be top of the line. Per your 1st post, you're only looking for entry level. Personally, I shoot a Matthews Monster and I absolutely love it. This is in no way an attempt to direct you that way as this is not an entry level bow. People scream Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech etc. I know quite a few archery hunters that shoot an array of brands and levels of compound bow. They all kill deer!
    As suggested get yourself into a reputable bow shop with a good tech to help you get right. Get everything right from set up to shooting stance to arm position and so on. Then it's all a matter of practice, practice, and more practice. Then when you think you've got it down pat... practice some more.
    It's all about shot placement, the younger guy who works next to me has a family with all the bills so is on a tighter budget. He shoots a PSE and an older PSE at that. He kills a deer every year with it.
    Poundage is also something to look at. I shoot a 70lb draw and at 50 years old am still comfortable with it. Eventually, I'll get weaker and lower the draw weight, but for now I'm good. On the flip side, my buddies wife has killed more than her fair share of whitetail and she shoots a Bear with a 33lb draw. It's all about what you're comfortable with.
    Bottom line is, IMHO, archery is more about the hunter than the weapon. Anyway, good luck in your search, but more importantly in your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I've been looking (online only) at some package deals. PSE and Diamond the PSe was the Stinger and Surge the Diamond was Infinity Edge. They seem good for me as a beginner and they are under $600. Obviously the arrows need to be sized and the bow would be adjusted to fit me so I assumed $100 for this. But for $700 or less I'm hunting with it...or am I missing something?
    I am also assuming the extras in the packages are similar to the package rifles from Savage where the sights and rests are crap...
    First I'd say that after getting into this sport and loving it the last two years, I will echo what has been said- you need to get your first bow from a reputable shop. Second thing I'd say is don't set your sights on anything until you've shot several bows. Any good shop will let you spend the time shooting a few arrows through each.
    If you're in the 5-600 dollar range, I'd look at Bowtech (or Diamond-but bowtech will hold it's value better), Mission (by Mathews), Hoyt, Bear, Quest (by G5), or PSE (albeit I haven't shot a PSE I truly liked).
    The one bow I'd definitely recommend you check out is an elite- like the energy 32 or 35 or synergy. Elite (unlike almost every other brand) will fully warranty your bow even if you buy it used. I was able to buy a new elite energy 32 for $620 on ebay, shipped to my door, in my draw length. This bow has a full warranty- and it's an AMAZING bow for that price. I'd say one of the best bows on the market right now and nowhere near the cost of a new mathews or hoyt of that tier.
    Also, I'd be wary of doing a package bow at first even...
    The problem with a lot of entry level package bows is the parts they put on them- the sight and the rest specifically- are literally junk. Oftentimes they're made of plastic that won't last and isn't rugged enough to really consider using for an important hunt. You'll eventually want a nicer sight and rest and that will happen sooner than you think. I bought my first bow as a package bow and it's a mistake I won't make again. I'd do it right the first time, spend 1-200 more and get a sight and rest you truly like. Most people find they want to upgrade to a drop away rest eventually, some like the full containment ones like whisker biscuits... personally, I'd go with a quality dropaway first like a ripcord code red or QAD extreme. I'd also get a sight of at least medium quality- no need to spend 300 dollars, but you may find you much prefer a single pin adjustable style sight over a multi pin sight and a quality example will run at least 85 dollars or so. I'd look into the truglo range rover or trophy ridge clutch.
    Genesis 27:3
    Support Your Local Hawaiian Shirt Enthusiasts

If you like the multi pin sights, check out Spot Hogg. The Right on and Bullet proof aren't too expensive and they are really tough. Should last a lifetime. All metal pins with bright fiber optics.

The Ripcord code red rest is awesome. Reasonable price. For a decent release I wouldn't spend less than $50. These I would really recommend trying a bunch of different one's at a shop and see which one and what style you prefer.

With a bow, manufacturers these days all make a pretty good product. Any big company that has a good warranty you should have no problem. I would worry more about weight, brace height and length and most important for hunting how quiet more than which company for my first bow. In the last 15 yrs I've had two bows, a High country and a Parker. My Dad shot Hoyt for years then switched to Bowtech. My cousins both shoot Hoyt. None of us have ever had an issue with any of our bows.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Take an honest look at the Hoyt Charger. It is a quiet, fast and forgiving price point bow that comes ready to shoot.
    jules

(Bucks County)

I broke ALL the rules. Did not go to a bow shop or anything. I picked up a 20 year old PSE from a member for less than $100, added a D loop and whisker bisket, shot it a bunch and started hunting. The deer I shot are all dead and in the freezer.

Years ago, I went ale carte on a Bowtech. I had no regrets, but little money in my account afterward. Life stepped in and I didn't have much time to hunt, so I sold the outfit.

Fast forward to this year. Plenty of Cabela points. The Diamond bows are made by Bowtech. If you're going to buy a package bow, you might as well get it from Cabelas, catch a sale, use some points, etc. I wouldn't recommend the package with arrows and release though. Get a good release, like a Scott. The Cabelas release they recommended is not smooth at all.

I believe my bow is called the Edge...see that's the funny part. Last time, I could tell you every detail down to the fletching on my arrows. This time, no analysis paralysis. Buy, draw, shoot. You'll find out what you don't like and make a list to upgrade your entire outfit at some point.

Cabelas will size the bow and the arrows
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Schuylkill County)

Another thing when it comes to sights I forgot to mention is that multiple pin sights are available with the fiber optics in different diameters. 3mm and 5mm if memory serves me, but I may very well be wrong. But they do come in different diameters of that, I'm sure.
    A few years ago I switched over to a single pin adjustable. With my draw weight and poundage I shoot, it works for me. Sighted it in at 30 yards and shooting at a Block target at 20 yards I'm at the top of the circle and at 40 yards I'm at the bottom. These circles are about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and well within the kill zone area of a whitetail. So I just leave it set at 30yards. Wouldn't recommend a shot too much further than that anyway. Though I do have it pegged out to 60 yards in case I need to put a second arrow because of a less than perfect first shot. Any archer worth his salt will tell you pus shots suck, but if you archery hunt long enough sooner of later you'll make one.
    Another suggestion if you look into range finders would be to look for one with ARC. A plain one will do the job also but it's easier if it's already figured out. If you have a plain one and you pick out a tree to range down towards the ground where the deer would be, it reads say 20 yards, then follow the tree trunk straight up until you range it straight across from you. It will read say 18 yards (these numbers are purely fictional) you should shoot the deer as if it were at 18 yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12