Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default School me on shotgun for PA deer hunt

I have always deer hunted with a rifle and I have always hunted in northern PA, however after another year of coming up empty, I heard some guys grumbling that next year the are going to get a shotgun and hunt in southeastern PA. I am having a tough time looking at the regs and figuring it out .

Are you not allowed to use rifles in some of these SE PA SGL?

Also are you not allowed to use foster slugs, just buckshot?

And last is there any restriction with what type of shotgun and barrel length is used. the only shotgun I have is a Mossberg/Maverick 88 12 gauge with an 20" barrel and a 7+1 capacity. Other than looking like a dork, is that legal to use or do I need a whole new shotgun?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: School me on shotgun for PA deer hunt

Your Maverick 88 is fine. Slugs are okay and you may use buckshot in the SEPA SGA. Have fun and try and avoid the SGL and look for some private property that you can hunt on. I see a few idiots every year on SGL 157 that think it's a state park.

(Bucks County)

In the Southeast Special Regulations area you may use buckshot or slugs. There are very limited areas (Tyler and Ridley State Parks) where you may only use buckshot. You are NOT allowed to use a rifle in the SE Special Regs area, whether you are hunting private or public land.

I am presuming that you have a relatively open choke (cyl or imp. cyl) on that barrel. I would recommend Foster slugs, try a couple and see what patterns best. With slugs and open sights I don't recommend taking shots beyond 50 yards.

(Carbon County)

I would not even think about a shotgun if you are tired of not seeing deer. Special regs areas are pushed out worse than in the mountains. I have hunted both, and as someone else said, you better be hunting private property. If you absolutely think you want to hunt in special regs areas, take up a cross bow and hunt early season for a chance of catching one wandering off private property during the rut.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I would not even think about a shotgun if you are tired of not seeing deer. Special regs areas are pushed out worse than in the mountains. I have hunted both, and as someone else said, you better be hunting private property. If you absolutely think you want to hunt in special regs areas, take up a cross bow and hunt early season for a chance of catching one wandering off private property during the rut.
    This is true of the SGL, especially the heavily hunted areas like 157.

I have ONLY ever seen deer on SGL outside of the rifle season. Mostly the early archery season, or out of season completely.

Private land is an entirely different story. Knock on some doors and find a property that hasn't been hunted much/at all. There are SO MANY deer here and they congregate in the "safe zones"

A rifled shotgun barrel shooting sabot slugs with a scope will produce accuracy that was once thought impossible with a shotgun. If you want to drop the cash. I have an 870 dedicated to hunting deer in special regs areas and Illinois (when I actually go).
    Jules

(York County)

I took my first shotgun slug buck this past season in WV with my cheapie H&R Pardner Protector pump. With an 18" barrel, I bought it for a home defense piece, but I thought what the hell, give it a shot. I have to say I'm still stunned at the groups it prints with Remington 1oz. Sluggers out of a smoothe bore. I have several groups with holes touching out to 75 yards! And the impact on the animal can only be describe as definitive. With a Red Dot sight and mount, a single point sling, and an ammo carrier on the side, I have less than $300 in it. Very happy with it and it is now my official "ugly day" gun. Synthetic stock and parkerized finish, it shrugs off all types of weather. The only real drawback is that the recoil can be punishing. I haven't shot magnums out of it yet, but I can only imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    I took my first shotgun slug buck this past season in WV with my cheapie H&R Pardner Protector pump. With an 18" barrel, I bought it for a home defense piece, but I thought what the hell, give it a shot. I have to say I'm still stunned at the groups it prints with Remington 1oz. Sluggers out of a smoothe bore. I have several groups with holes touching out to 75 yards! And the impact on the animal can only be describe as definitive. With a Red Dot sight and mount, a single point sling, and an ammo carrier on the side, I have less than $300 in it. Very happy with it and it is now my official "ugly day" gun. Synthetic stock and parkerized finish, it shrugs off all types of weather. The only real drawback is that the recoil can be punishing. I haven't shot magnums out of it yet, but I can only imagine.
    Recoil is a factor....

(Allegheny County)

I use a H&R 20 gauge with a rifled barrel and a 21/2 power scope. I use Lightfield sabot slugs in the gun. It is very accurate out to 75 yards.

i would stick to what you know. if you happen to see something at 150+ yards it will be a lot harder to (safely and humanely) reach out with a shotgun. its been a rough year or two for everyone brother, hang in there.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast