Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Recording Your Hunts (GoPro/Camera setup Discussion)

Last week I collected all of my bday and Christmas gift cards and combined them with my Cabelas card points and picked up a GoPro Hero 4 Silver. I'm excited to get some video of our first child (coming this May) and record some woods/hunting/shooting action. So the question is, what mount(s) to use?

I'm looking for some feedback from people who have a GoPro (or similar camera) and what types of mounts you use. I ordered a head strap thinking that it would give a nice POV for hunting but wondered if it would be in the way of the bow string during archery. I also envision angled videos during rifle season when I look through the scope. What type of weapon mounts are you using for bow/rifle/shotgun/pistol?

GoPro makes a Sportsman Mount that is universal and pricey. I will probably pick one of them up eventually. What setups are you using and what works/doesn't work?

Thanks in advance!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Recording Your Hunts (GoPro/Camera setup Discussion)

POV Mounting Systems...they offer a variety geared towards weapon mounting

Have fun!!

(Philadelphia County)

GoPros are GREAT little cameras. We have a nice one at work that we've used on a number of video shoots. They are built like tanks and always perform beautifully.

One word of advice, DO NOT LOSE THE WIFI PASSWORD to it. The one that lets you connect and control the camera via your phone. Resetting it is a very complex multi step nightmare.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    POV Mounting Systems...they offer a variety geared towards weapon mounting

Have fun!!
    Have you used their mounts? Don't need a full review, just curious which ones and what you thought. I'm liking the pictures. I'll check out the videos later.

(Luzerne County)

I am looking into getting one for with turkey and trout season coming up and I have seen some video's of the chest mounts that I was surprised at how well they came out. I expected most of the view to be blocked due to movement but it was crystal clear. Im following along on this one.

(Allegheny County)

I'm a bit more of a fan of Contour cameras as far as POV/action cameras go. They're much more streamlined, and feels much better suited for action usage. Mounts go on the camera using a rail system (and plenty of good mounts, including one that will go right on a baseball cap), there's dual lasers to align the lens to your point of view, and one touch turns on the camera and starts recording. Picture quality isn't as good as the GoPro though.

I don't plan on using it on my hunts yet (being new to hunting, I'd rather focus on hunting instead of fumbling with a camera). But I did have one on my fire helmet, and it was about as out of the way as it'll ever get.

OP, I went with a GoPro clone and couldn't be happier with my purchase. My camera came with a ton of mounting options. I also bought a bow and rifle/shotgun mount from this ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/buchner5201?...10.m2749.l2754

He will do combined shipping if you ask him for multiple purchases.

You didn't mention the type of hunting you do, but a head mount may not be the best option for rifle or bow hunting. With rifle hunting your head will be on an angle looking through your optic. With bow hunting the head mount may get in the way since your cheek is touching the bow string.

To the guy that mentioned the Contour camera...the company went under.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks aubie, I'll check his stuff out. Your thoughts with bow and rifle hunting were exactly what I said my concerns were. Haha.

I may go for a chest rig as well for an option but I am leaning more toward weapon mounted.

(Lehigh County)

Yes I use my big freezer as a work bench, paint, lead so on. Get the $20 pipe attatchment. This set up is a camera tripod. I took the feet off now I have 3 telescoping gopro poles.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    To the guy that mentioned the Contour camera...the company went under.
    They're back in business (or at least, their site is still up).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast