Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Kel Tec P32 FTE live rounds

Recently got a Kel tec P32 and have been experiencing problems in ejecting live/dud rounds. When I try to eject a round with the magazine removed or with an empty magazine the round appears to be jammed at an angle against the slide and the barrel hood. This occurs even when I retract the slide with some force although if I use extraordinary force I can get the ejector tang sufficiently protruding for the round to disengage from the extractor pawl and drop through the magazine well.

I have no ejection problems when the rounds fire nor when the magazine has a round(s) in it. When there is a loaded magazine the top round pushes up against the round caught in the extractor and essentially pushes the rear of the cartridge upward with enough force to disengage it from the extractor and the cartridge leaves via the top of the ejection port.

I believe the problem is connected with part of the barrel hood entering into the ejection port space.

Anyone else had a similar experience or know of a solution.

Currently using Wolf JHP. Anyone know the maximum OAL (overall length) dimension for the .32ACP?
    Last edited by tl_3237; January 10th, 2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: sp

(York County)

Default Re: Kel Teck P32 FTE live rounds

I don't have a P32 but I do have a P3-at. I took mine completely apart and polished the ramp, chamber, breech face and slide rails. I have read that it is pretty much required because all of their small pistols are rough around the edges. That certainly made things run smoother for me . In your case it does sound like the rounds are too long, .978 is the spec for 71gr FMJ's. I would try another brand of ammo. I have been running Magtech in my P3-at and they have done well

(Lebanon County)

I have had the same problem with my p32 when I first bought it. I had used winchester silver tips in mine with the same problem you are describing. I just took some time out one day, oiled the internals heavily, and kept cycling the ammo from the mag and it seemed to fix the problem after it "Broke in". Now it ejects the round every time I pull back on the slide.

Brad

(York County)

Here are some directions for a fluff and buff of the kel-tec

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Kel Tech P32 FTE live rounds

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Recently got a Kel tech P32 and have been experiencing problems in ejecting live/dud rounds. When I try to eject a round with the magazine removed or with an empty magazine the round appears to be jammed at an angle against the slide and the barrel hood. This occurs even when I retract the slide with some force although if I use extraordinary force I can get the ejector tang sufficiently protruding for the round to disengage from the extractor pawl and drop through the magazine well.

I have no ejection problems when the rounds fire nor when the magazine has a round(s) in it. When there is a loaded magazine the top round pushes up against the round caught in the extractor and essentially pushes the rear of the cartridge upward with enough force to disengage it from the extractor and the cartridge leaves via the top of the ejection port.

I believe the problem is connected with part of the barrel hood entering into the ejection port space.

Anyone else had a similar experience or know of a solution.

Currently using Wolf JHP. Anyone know the maximum OAL (overall length) dimension for the .32ACP?
    EXTREME NECROPOST!

Ok, I know you're still around and wanted to know what you ever did with the P32. I'm having the same problem. I'm assuming the OAL is just a tad too long and the round is getting hung up because it has too little clearance... I just wanna ask around before I go taking metal off my P32...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

I went back and loaded a WOLF GOLD 32ACP HP (OAL 0.965) as a single round in the mag and cycled the slide (these were my carry rounds until I noticed the problem). Sure enough when I tried to cycle that last round as if it were a dud I had a jam with the round laying at a 30 degre angle with the HP lodged on the inside of the slide and the base against the breech face.

I then took my current carry ammo (FC FMJ OAL 0.960) and tried the same experiment. NO PROLEMS! Ejected perfectly each time.

Alternated the experiment several times with the same results - jam= WOLF; OK = FC.

The MAX OAL listed by Lyman is 0.984 so I suspected that OAL did not play a part in the anomaly leading to the question 'why?'

Then I inspected each round near the rim/taper and noted a significant difference in that WOLF provides a larger straight surface where the extractor pawl head would be before they start the much higher taper as measured from the base. The same area of FC's round shows a much smaller 'straight' section for the pawl.

My conjecture is that when the ejector hits the case and starts to cant the round the pawl retains the WOLF round much longer because the taper is not being contacted by pawl head since it is higher on the round. On the other hand the FC's taper is lower and helps disengage the extractor in a prying motion thereby allowing the round to rotate to a larger degree and lessening its profile with respect to the ejection port on its way out.

Of course to prove this or any other theory would require high-speed photography, so it remains only conjecture. Obviously the WOLF ammo has been relegated to range use only!

Am attempting top attach a pic - WOLF on the left, FC on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I went back and loaded a WOLF GOLD 32ACP HP (OAL 0.965) as a single round in the mag and cycled the slide (these were my carry rounds until I noticed the problem). Sure enough when I tried to cycle that last round as if it were a dud I had a jam with the round laying at a 30 degre angle with the HP lodged on the inside of the slide and the base against the breech face.

I then took my current carry ammo (FC FMJ OAL 0.960) and tried the same experiment. NO PROLEMS! Ejected perfectly each time.

Alternated the experiment several times with the same results - jam= WOLF; OK = FC.

The MAX OAL listed by Lyman is 0.984 so I suspected that OAL did not play a part in the anomaly leading to the question 'why?'

Then I inspected each round near the rim/taper and noted a significant difference in that WOLF provides a larger straight surface where the extractor pawl head would be before they start the much higher taper as measured from the base. The same area of FC's round shows a much smaller 'straight' section for the pawl.

My conjecture is that when the ejector hits the case and starts to cant the round the pawl retains the WOLF round much longer because the taper is not being contacted by pawl head since it is higher on the round. On the other hand the FC's taper is lower and helps disengage the extractor in a prying motion thereby allowing the round to rotate to a larger degree and lessening its profile with respect to the ejection port on its way out.

Of course to prove this or any other theory would require high-speed photography, so it remains only conjecture. Obviously the WOLF ammo has been relegated to range use only!

Am attempting top attach a pic - WOLF on the left, FC on the right.
    Steel or brass cased Wolf?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Chester County)

BRASS for both WOLF and FC
    IANAL

put the mag back in and try it again

Same Russian ammo, same Russian ammo stories. If the American brands do not work in your weapon, then I would be a little concerned. I do not shoot FREE Russian ammo in any of my guns, but that is just me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast