Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Any reviews of MAGLOC/SmartLock?

Looking for a reliable, no battery, quick acting, child safe, storage, gun lock. Then I saw this: http://www.smartlock.com/triggerlock-r.htm Anyone have one, or tested one, or have a comment?

thx,

tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any reviews of MAGLOC/SmartLock?

It looks to me that with certain pistols, you need to be careful with the positioning of this trigger lock, or you can easily make it able to pull the trigger.

This is an article I read about before thinking about getting a trigger lock. It's not about the time it could take one to unlock one and use the gun properly, but about trigger locks breaking one of the 4 rules, and the problem this could cause.

http://www.ralphdsherman.com/Press%2...%20Courant.htm

I suggest that if you don't feel absolutely certain on using a trigger lock, investing in a safe for handguns and/or important documents that you can bolt down and keep locked. Trigger locks will not keep a gun out of someone's hand, even kids.

Education is the best weapon against firearm misuse, and a good gun safe would be 2nd.

I picked up the smartlock. Couple things I have to comment on about this product. The lock is being used to store my carry firearm(P3AT) when not in my pocket. I keep the firearm high up, above children's reach, but only lock it up, when I can't guarantee it being undisturbed.

Cons:

1. It requires two hands to operate(, or has to be mounted). I don't many trigger locks that once unlocked auto open up, so this might be not a total flaw. However it does inhibit fast action.

2. It is tight. Since it is easy to hit the wrong button, it being tight could give you the wrong feed back. Meaning, if you entered the wrong code, you might wrestle with it to open, rather than reset and try again. It has no 'beep' but then it's a mechanical lock.

3. It's a trigger lock, so it has it own false sense of security. Child safety starts with limited access, and education. With all trigger lock manufactures they seem to advertise it only takes a couple of seconds to unlock and get at the ready. I think we all know how long it takes for a person with a knife at two meters to kill us.

Pros:

1. No key required.

2. Customizable, meaning if you want 1 key combination or up to 4 keys, it's doable.

3. Permanently mountable. I am using command strips right now, while I test out places.

4. Temporally mountable in the car. A cable(available from vendor) can be used to secure the firearm to a car seat. This way it's theft resistant, and accessible without a key.

Overall, I wish I didn't' feel I need a lock, but I have a 6 and 1 year old things can happen. Like I said, it only gets secured when necessary. A good dead bolt system gives me the few seconds to get it out, but seconds to count. Hopefully not against my family.

Any comments? Besides the very truthful rhetorical question: "If 25% of police are shot with their, or their partner's, firearms, and trigger locks work per liberal politician options, why aren't they used on police service pistols?"

Tom

P.S. I will be ordering additional units, one lock with cable for each car, since it provides for securing the firearm and faster than key locks access.

(Lehigh County)

I wouldn't waste my time with trigger locks unless I didn't have a gun safe. Pistol on your person, the rest locked up in the safe. That should be the way to go.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

... interesting product at a good price point ...

Question: are the pins which pass through the triggerguard:
    -- metal
    -- metal with a vinyl / plastic coating
    -- plastic (if so, hopefully something tough / durable)

Reason I ask is that when I travel my g/f always asks for me to leave behind the same two home defense pieces:

-- Taurus Judge 45 Colt / .410 (blued)
    -- Baby Desert Eagle 45 ACP

{yep, carries a Taurus 85 snubbie or a Walther PPK/s in her purse - she's a keeper }

... and I find that one of my few complaints as to the BDEagle is that the original blue / black finish is poor, for example it picks up transfer from the thumbreak snap of one of my holsters (chrome "scrapes" under the beavertail)

... thanks in advance for any comments ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

There is a ratchet metal post, which holds the half's together. Then the half's have a rubber/soft plastic covering with 'bumps' for basic setup. Then it came with metal pins, plastic coated for custom setup.

It seems to me, the main niche it fits in, is securing it in the car. In the home, I have a safe, upstairs, but wanted something for quick action downstairs. I ordered 1 to try out, and thought for the price, it was OK to get more.

later,

tom

P.S. She does sound like a keeper.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tom View Post
    There is a ratchet metal post, which holds the half's together. Then the half's have a rubber/soft plastic covering with 'bumps' for basic setup. Then it came with metal pins, plastic coated for custom setup.
    Mr Tom, thank you Sir, exactly what I needed to know...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Armstrong County)

Has anyone seen Kim Stolfer’s video on Channel 2 in Pittsburgh on Trigger Locks and how easily they are defeated? I own trigger locks and would not use them as they are very unsafe and do not keep the firearm from being fired.
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan