Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Thumbs down Cabelas requiring ID for ammo purchases now?

Didn't know this was policy. My father in law was going to the Hamburg location today, so I asked him to pick me up some 168gr 308s. I couldn't find them locally and I knew they would have it. He texted me later in the morning saying he had to show his ID at the register when checking out. What's up with that. I was just there maybe 6 weeks ago and nothing like this was in place. He was pretty pissed about it. Any ideas?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Cabelas requiring ID for ammo purchases now?

Quote Originally Posted by TDIfan View Post
    Didn't know this was policy. My father in law was going to the Hamburg location today, so I asked him to pick me up some 168gr 308s. I couldn't find them locally and I knew they would have it. He texted me later in the morning saying he had to show his ID at the register when checking out. What's up with that. I was just there maybe 6 weeks ago and nothing like this was in place. He was pretty pissed about it. Any ideas?
    An FFL is required to assure that the purchaser of rifle/shotgun ammo is 18+ and handgun ammo is 21+. My 65+ year old friend was 'carded' at Cabelas a few months ago. I presume that they just established a simple rule to 100% check IDs as opposed to asking the cashier to make an age guess based on appearance.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

It's not as far as I remember, but then I usually use a credit card.

(Wyoming County)

Did he use a Credit Card? Although it is rare that it happens, Merchants have asked me for ID when using my card. Frankly I wish it would happen more often, (when using my card that is).

a little bit off topic but still True story- I have a gray beard. I use tobacco. I once went to buy it and was carded (Could she be serious???), only to realize that I had left my current driver's in my motorcycle saddle bag. I still had my wallet though and had an expired driver's license with me, but the cashier wouldn't except it because it had expired. My argument that it didn't stop showing my identity or age because it was no longer a valid driving instrument had no sway over her.

My point is that some cashiers choose to error on the side of being overly cautious.
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; February 26th, 2015 at 11:37 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I still had my wallet though and had an expired driver's license with me, but the cashier wouldn't except it because it had expired. My argument that it didn't stop showing my identity or age because it was no longer a valid driving instrument had no sway over her.

My point is that some cashiers choose to error on the side of being overly cautious.
    Grocery outlets in Pa that sell beer also card 100 percent. It is programmed into the register so that it's impossible to even ring up the sale without reading the data strip on the back of the buyer's driver's license.

Usually done for liability reasons, but also because it lowers insurance premiums.

Cashier's can lose their job if they attempt to override the system and sell beer to someone who shows an expired driver's license, even if he's 70 years old.

(Washington County)

I'd be interested to know if the Wheeling WV Cabelas is doing the same thing.

(Chester County)

A very simple solution is to stop buying ammunition from businesses that require ID from individuals that are obviously over 21 y.o. and to tell them that as long as they continue to require an ID you will buy your ammo elsewhere.

Every business is based on making profit, if their profit is negatively effected enough, they will change their policy.

(Washington County)

They're probably looking for a guy named EmptyMag who they know lives in Allegheny County and shouldn't be sold ammo.

Edit: Oh wait, that's Bass Pro Shop.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    A very simple solution is to stop buying ammunition from businesses that require ID from individuals that are obviously over 21 y.o. and to tell them that as long as they continue to require an ID you will buy your ammo elsewhere.

Every business is based on making profit, if their profit is negatively effected enough, they will change their policy.
    Agreed.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    My argument that it didn't stop showing my identity or age because it was no longer a valid driving instrument had no sway over her.
    Under the stupid Patriot Act expired ID is no longer "ID." I ran into this at my bank and I got a bit hostile. The manager interceded and said that he remembered me. Whether he actually remembered me is questionable but he got me to stop yelling.

I had a conversation with a retired Army officer who was incensed that he had to get a new retiree ID with an expiration date to replace his old one that never expired.

Evidently requiring ID to have an expiration date will keep us safe from terrorism.

Hmmmm . . . I just had a thought. I wonder if the DMV broke the law by giving me my new drivers license AFTER my old one had expired. After all, they used the old one as "ID."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast