Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Transporting an AR type rifle THROUGH marylan

Wasnt sure where to post this but my question is this
    Since the new Maryland law went into effect in October, can i legally drive through maryland with an AR type rifle locked, unloaded and in my trunk, i havent found anything specific for or against most of it is for handguns, im not looking for opinions,anyone that knows, please help

Default Re: Transporting an AR type rifle THROUGH marylan

Technically yes THROUGH Md, no stops. Provided the gun is lawful to posses at your destination. Although magazines may not be covered by FOPA...it's a gray area.

How would they react if stopped........your guess is as good as mine.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Mercer County)

The best way to travel through Maryland or New Jersey is to go around them.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    The best way to travel through Maryland or New Jersey is to go around them.
    I agree, that's a long way around from Berks though.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I agree, that's a long way around from Berks though.
    Good point, I was thinking in terms of my location.

Still, I can't stress enough the value of staying out those "states," particularly with a firearm.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Chester County)

I think they have to be in your trunk, with ammo and gun in separate locked containers. And of course don't stop.

(Dauphin County)

Federal interstate transport rules should apply. You may stop for fuel, etc. I don't know if it's legal in MD to stop overnight at a motel, the room is your domicile while you rent it but I don't know what would happen if the weapon you were transporting was illegal in the state where you stopped. I agree, drive through is the best solution. Minimize the time and money spent in those accursed places.

Couple of years ago I did a 12-state motorcycle trip that required me to pass through Illinois and Kansas, neither of which at the time recognized either my PA or UT LTCFs (I think KS changed since then). I planned the trip to ride through them with only a fuel stop, with my unloaded pistol locked in one sidecase and my ammo in the other. I use the same method when I have to cross MD or the Black Lands between PA and VT, NH, and ME.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Schuylkill County)

This thread just made me think about something. I have a little 2-seater sports car that I drive a lot when the weather is nice. I have a trunk, but there is no way a medium or large size rifle, inside a case, would fit there. Would that allow me to keep it in the passenger compartment in a locked case with ammo in the trunk?

Honestly, I don't ever see this happening. I would probably have to put my top down to fit the case in the front seat for a bolt gun. It just made me curious.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot121 View Post
    This thread just made me think about something. I have a little 2-seater sports car that I drive a lot when the weather is nice. I have a trunk, but there is no way a medium or large size rifle, inside a case, would fit there. Would that allow me to keep it in the passenger compartment in a locked case with ammo in the trunk?

Honestly, I don't ever see this happening. I would probably have to put my top down to fit the case in the front seat for a bolt gun. It just made me curious.
    You would be in a gray area depending on the interpretation whether the car has a separate compartment. If the firearm physically will not fit in the empty 'trunk' then you could argue that the lack of a 'separate container' is functionally met. Whether that would be successful is a crap-shoot. In essence you would be attempting to garner FOPA transport protection by satisfying the condition bolded below and showing that the prerequisite "vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment " has been met.

18 USC §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    IANAL

(Northampton County)

Maryland is real bad news. If you are going THROUGH Maryland for any reason, take 81 (only about 12 miles?) and then go around it.

I don't know if it is FOPA legal to have the cased gun in your passenger compartment if you have a trunk (see post above) but if a Maryland cop sees that and you have an out of state plate I doubt you will promptly resume your trip without inconvenience.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast