Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Remington 870 Fore End

Hello, all. Hoping to get some advice.

I have a problem. I'm trying to install a new fore end on my mid-90's Remington 870 Express but the existing fore end doesn't want to come off. I'm depressing the left shell latch to disengage the action bars, as instructed in the Remington manual, but the action bars only slide ever so slightly (about 1/4") and do not want to budge any further. I checked the ejector spring and it's in fine condition. I also checked the breech bolt and slide to ensure it wasn't snagging somewhere. Still can't get the fore end to come off.

This gun has only been fired about 2 dozen times and kept in clean condition. What am I doing wrong? I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. Any suggestions?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Remington 870 Fore End

IIRC you need to depress a latch on the other side of the receiver as well. Push one side and pull out that first 1/4", then push the other side and pull the fore end off completely.

One side and then the other. I do the left side latch first, and then the right. It will come right off. The bolt and carrier will come out too. Be careful not to have them hit the floor. I just reread your original post and am wondering if your new fore end comes complete with action bars? If not, you will only need to get a hold of the proper wrench to remove the castle nut holding on the fore end. It should be held on with some thread locking compound. You can buy the wrench here:
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...873-21981.aspx
    Last edited by ar15jules; February 24th, 2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: added link to tool

(Northampton County)

Thanks for the responses guys.

Firebird, the left latch is the only one I can depress. The right one already gets depressed by the rail as it moves forward.

Jules, (if I'm understanding you) I'm not talking about the fore end handle. I can take that off. I'm having problems taking the entire fore end assembly off. And again, I can only depress the left latch (the right already gets depressed by a "notch" in the rail).

It should come off without much effort. Check some youtube videos. There are a bunch.
    Last edited by ar15jules; February 26th, 2015 at 11:13 PM.

(Berks County)

Clean out the hardened oil under the action bar that's keeping you from fully depressing it.