Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Dating a 91/30?

Default Dating a 91/30?

Went to the Allentown show today (crappy show BTW, couldn't find 1/2 of what I needed) ... anyways, one guy had a table full of 91/30 and my M44 did seem a little lonely the past few days so what the heck.

Brought her home and stripped her down (oh baby oh baby) and all seems in really nice shape. This one is one of the ones with the hex receiver, I looked all over google and can't find anything to date the gun. Anyone have any good links or resources?

I was able to determine it is from the Izhevsk arsenal from the arsenal symbol on the receiver, it has the hammer and sickle on it and 1930I stamped into it .. does this mean its a 1930 issue?

Not that it means much, I'm more looking forward to taking her and and firing her but I like to know what I own (anal retentive like that)

thanks for any info folks!

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Dating a 91/30?

YES it is a 1930. You pretty much answered your own question.

Mike Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    YES it is a 1930. You pretty much answered your own question.

Mike Mc
    thanks, wasn't sure

A fairly uncommon year at that! Being the first year they were made...converted ex-dragoons aside...

Quote Originally Posted by piste View Post
    A fairly uncommon year at that! Being the first year they were made...converted ex-dragoons aside...
    Wow, that's cool! Thanks for the info!

(Cumberland County)

I love those guns!! Very nice pickup.
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Went to the Allentown show today (crappy show BTW, couldn't find 1/2 of what I needed) ... anyways, one guy had a table full of 91/30 and my M44 did seem a little lonely the past few days so what the heck.

Brought her home and stripped her down (oh baby oh baby) and all seems in really nice shape. This one is one of the ones with the hex receiver, I looked all over google and can't find anything to date the gun. Anyone have any good links or resources?

I was able to determine it is from the Izhevsk arsenal from the arsenal symbol on the receiver, it has the hammer and sickle on it and 1930I stamped into it .. does this mean its a 1930 issue?

Not that it means much, I'm more looking forward to taking her and and firing her but I like to know what I own (anal retentive like that)

Try here:http://www.mosinnagant.net/default.asp

or here:http://7.62x54r.net/

(Lancaster County)

When and if you completely take it down, on the receiver tang there will be a 2 or 4 digit date. It's possible the receiver is from an older M91 and was converted into a 91/30 with a 1930 barrel. Does the front edge of the receiver(where the barrel and receiver meet) have any markings?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    The "I" is actually a "Г" (Cyrillic for "G"), which is an abbreviation for "год" ("god") which basically means "year".

And as already mentioned, it is a 1930 (or at least the barrel is, as wizzegun stated). All the different stamps & markings you can find can possibly tell you all kinds of info about what it is and what it has been through. Although, sometimes it seems someone got stamp happy along the way and randomly stamped the entire Cyrillic alphabet on the rifle.

The link posted to 7.62x54r.net is a great resource for decoding everything.