Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default DIY Shotgun Shell Cards!

This is what I've been spending most of my free time working on for the last few weekends. The quality has gotten better on each of them and now I've got it down to a very precise operation. I'm using a 7/8" loop per shell and 1 3/8" elastic per loop measurement and sewing velcro on the back instead of using the adhesive kind. My original design was free hand and so the spacing between the shells are inconsistent and the loops vary slightly in size. The sew-on velcro actually seems to work better than the industrial adhesive stuff I was gluing on. I'm obviously still using the adhesive side on the gun and sew-on side on the card.

Most recent (and best) on the bottom. 2 rounders and 6 rounders. The first few I made were done with a different nylon backing and wouldn't lay flat when loaded. The most recent cards have the stiffer nylon and don't warp when the shells are loaded. Also, I think the tighter spacing will help with the retention of the shells. If they're all pressed up against each other then it will be harder to knock them loose. I'm considering making belt loop variations and maybe some MOLLE compatible stuff too. Thoughts?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: DIY Shotgun Shell Cards!

Look good, but are you saving any money?

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm

Or is it the value of the fact that you did it yourself?
    Last edited by carwash; February 22nd, 2015 at 05:22 PM.
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Beaver County)

I had Esstac cards on my stocks a while back. I stopped using them because the 7 round cards were too long and I chose to sell them rather than cut them down and risk mangling them. For the cost of each card, yeah I save money but it's mostly the gratification of doing it myself I'm after. 5 yards of the nylon backing ($18) and 5 yards of sew-on velcro ($8) would make 30 six inch long cards. The elastic ($9) goes a bit faster because I use 1 3/8" of elastic for every 7/8" of nylon but you still get 22 six round cards. Way more than that if I make a few 2 or 4 rounders. My time is basically meaningless because I'm not trying to sell them and make a profit. Ignoring labor, that's barely $1 per if I use all of the material.

(Bucks County)

Nice, DIY surely has a value all it's own, definitely look good. I see you didn't add a loop like the the Esstac cards, any trouble ripping them off without it?
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Washington County)

Those look great. I did almost an identical thing and my velcro from Walmart just don't hang on with a full loaded saddle while shooting (mine is on the receiver, not the stock) so I'm going to pick up the SKD cards.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

I think I may need to beg you to make me something. That's what I think.

Would rifle cartridge holders be more difficult to make due to the loops being closer/smaller?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I think I may need to beg you to make me something. That's what I think.

Would rifle cartridge holders be more difficult to make due to the loops being closer/smaller?
    What caliber? I measure the width of the rim and that's how I space the shells. It may be possible. I do have some more sew-on velcro and elastic on the way.

(Allegheny County)

.357 Magnum and .30-30.

I saw something pretty interesting online while searching for cartridge loop carrier butt pads.
    He's apparently no longer producing them, but a guy came up with an idea for an "ammo cuff" to be attached around the receiver on a lever gun.
    (Minuteman Gear Ammo Cuff)

I picked up one of these cheapo butt stock cheek pad ammo carriers...

I used one of the tear off ammo loop strips to make my own. I just ran "paracord" thru the ammo loop at each end and tied it on. I worried that it would sit too high, but the cord sits just below the height of the sights.
    I haven't taken photos of it, but it looks essentially identical to this one...

Video of it in use.

Something similar for shotguns I ran across...

Anyway, I dunno if something like that would be easy to make, but there seemed to be a decent amount of interest from people on the lever gun forums.

One of those "cards" could just as easily be glued onto the side of the receiver of a lever gun, so that may be something I'd be interested in.
    Last edited by Emptymag; February 22nd, 2015 at 09:16 PM.

(Beaver County)

My 2 round cards could be attached the handguard of an autoloader without strapping around the barrel. I put them on the back of my stock.

How long is a .357 round? A 5.56 round is the same before it necks down to the .223 caliber as a .357, right? I don't have a 5.56 rifle anymore but I do have a 5.56 keychain. I could also space it with 9x19. The elastic is 1 1/2" wide so the materials I have may not work out so well. Not much of the round exposed so it would be hard to grab but I could probably do a .30-30. I'll see if I can find some 1" elastic webbing ...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    My 2 round cards could be attached the handguard of an autoloader without strapping around the barrel. I put them on the back of my stock.

How long is a .357 round? A 5.56 round is the same before it necks down to the .223 caliber as a .357, right? I don't have a 5.56 rifle anymore but I do have a 5.56 keychain. I could also space it with 9x19. The elastic is 1 1/2" wide so the materials I have may not work out so well. Not much of the round exposed so it would be hard to grab but I could probably do a .30-30. I'll see if I can find some 1" elastic webbing ...

.357 round = 1 9/16" total length and just a bit over 1 1/4" case length. (1 5/16")
    As a visual comparison, if you stand it up next to a .223 the total length is even with the point where the 223 tapers to the bullet diameter. (if that makes sense)

The elastic band on the ammo loop strips I have are 1 3/8" wide.
    Works fine for 30-30, but the .357 doesn't stick out much.

Looking at a 9mm round it appears roughly the same diameter as the 357 and 223.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast