Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: PSA: Please read if you own a Winchester Safe . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    Haha, well guys, everyone that read this thread and said or thought, “this is exactly why I bought a safe with manual dial,” put this in your pipe and smoke it . . . the S&G 6741 manual dial lock that came on my Liberty safe failed in less than HALF the time that it took the Winchester's electronic lock to fail. And as opposed to the Winchester safe that was opened a number of times per day, the Liberty was typically only opened once per day. Wrap your head around that.

For a couple days I had a little difficulty getting the safe open, which was bizarre, as it always opened for me on the first try every time previously. After dealing with the Winchester failure I had a hunch what was coming, and I emptied everything out into my other safes and locked the Liberty with the door open. That ended up being a wise move, as this morning I tried to unlock it just for kicks and couldn’t get it unlocked after 20+ attempts. Today I’ll be on the phone to Liberty to discuss replacement options.

PS: After 3+ years my replacement parts on the Winchester safe are still working perfectly.
    The combination lock ( 6741 ) on my Liberty safe was starting to give me problems, not opening on the first entry.
    Took everything out and locked it with the door opened. Now it takes 15 times or more to dial the combination to gain entry.

I called Liberty and they are sending a replacement combination lock 6741.
    The Liberty representative mentioned special tools to install the lock correctly.
    Any one on the forum use these tools to install a combination lock?
    Or any advice on installation. I really don't want to call a lock smith.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone found or can recommend a replacement electronic lock for a TS26-45 with a key override? Purchased in 2022. I can*t find a swing lock that has the override release pin like mine has. Similar to post #202

Thanks

(Northampton County)

Well well, here we are again my friends. Three years into my ownership of the Winchester TS36-45, and the unit has checked out. Ironically, it happened one day before the 9 year anniversary of this thread. As with my last safe, after several dozen attempts, I finally got it open. Also, as with my last safe, I ordered the newest keypad from LeGard, the LG5715-SC, which fit up perfectly after switching the mounting screws from 3-9 to 12-6. ALSO, as with my last safe, replacing the keypad did NOT rectify the problem.

As I did 9 years ago, I then went on the search for the locking unit itself that was screwing up. Unfortunately, I found that the locking unit can not be purchased individually, but only as a combination package with the NL keypad. (SKU# NLROTOBOLT-PKG on the MBA USA website) So after another hundred bucks down the drain, I now have the replacement NL locking unit installed with the LeGard keypad, and all is good. How lucky am I? Twice in 9 years with Winchester. On the bright side, the replacement keypad and locking unit on my old Winchester safe is now over 9 years trouble free!

In regard to various other Winchester safes, it seems that both the original line and the TS36-45 line use the same 4-pin wire bundle common to LeGard and NL style locks, whereas other TS safes, like the TS-19-11, have a huge ribbon of wires running from the keypad to an intermediate control board, and then to the locking unit itself. I'll be honest, I'm not sure why there's a differentiation here unless all of these units possess a manual key backup as well and that's what makes them unique.

(Allegheny County)

I have a Remington safe. I bought it used in 2013. It has a manual dial, and has opened every time, without fail.

I just don't understand the appeal of those electronic keypads on a gun safe.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I have a Remington safe. I bought it used in 2013. It has a manual dial, and has opened every time, without fail.

I just don't understand the appeal of those electronic keypads on a gun safe.
    Well, they're much faster to open and shockingly few safes are even offered with manual dials anymore. Also, manual dials CAN fail, I've been unfortunate enough to experience that as well on my Liberty safe.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122